Tinsels and other Bling...

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Roadkill

Tinsels and other Bling...

Post by Roadkill » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:07 pm

Many tiers show great concern about the exact color of their tying thread, the exact feather to use or the right dubbing on the right hook but how many explore the use of Bling. Bling is a fashion accessory to your fly and may affect the depth or action of your presentation and may even change the visibility of your creation in different light and or water conditions.

There are different strokes for different folks at the tying table and on the water! ;)

I like to explore patterns and materials, especially when I encounter a new bug and test out the resulting new flies. I also remember a bit of advice from an old timer and local fly shop owner to a new customer who asked why he had so many different flies in his display cases-"They all catch fish sometimes".

To provoke thought about what you are trying to achieve when you tie up your own creations and how fish may perceive them here are some examples:

All are tied on a Mustad 3906 #10 with Rust Brown UTC 70 Thread, tan Rabbit dubbing, and a Natural India Hen Back Hackle:

Starting with a basic Flymph with no bling...
ImageIMGP9673 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

One modified with a Flat Gold Tinsel tag...
ImageIMGP9675 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

One modified with a Flat Gold Tinsel tag and a Gold Twist rib on the body...
ImageIMGP9677 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

One modified with a Flat Gold Tinsel rib on the body...
ImageIMGP9679 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

One modified with a Ginger Sparkle Yarn shuck and Medium Gold Wire to get the fly down a little...
ImageIMGP9683 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

One modified with a 4 strands of Pearl Krystl Flash twisted to make a rib...
ImageIMGP9685 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

One modified with an XL Oval Gold Tinsel...
ImageIMGP9688 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

One modified with a Medium Embossed Silver tinsel...
ImageIMGP9690 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

Now thinking further out of the Traditional Soft Hackle box...

One modified with a Fluorescent Green Wire rib and a Brass Bead thorax...
ImageIMGP9695 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

One modified with a Silver Lined Red Glass Bead thorax...
ImageIMGP9699 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

One modified with an underbody of Opal Mirage tinsel ribbed with Touch Dubbed tying thread...
ImageIMGP9704 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

One modified with a Gold Twist tied in at the head after the body is done, then wrapped to the tail and back...
ImageIMGP9706 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

This simple and fast x-cross wrap was something I learned at my first tying lesson in 1959 and served me well fishing the simple fur body fuzzy type no hackle nymphs in local lakes. These undoubtedly were taken as chironomids and I later found them described as a "Nondescript" Stick Fly by Marv Taylor in his 1979 book FLOAT-TUBES,FLY RODS and other essays He said that"Fly patterns that fall under the nondescript classification may be a mystery to fishermen... but not to fish."

I can't help but think the different use of dubbing colors and tinsels were a response from the fish to different chironomid hatches combined with different light conditions during the day.

Tight lines and happy feather bending!!!
Last edited by Roadkill on Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Tinsels and other Bling...

Post by letumgo » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:51 pm

Well done Bill. I enjoy seeing so many different options presented together. Inspiring post. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
ronr

Post by ronr » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:53 pm

a man after my own heart...lots of good ideas for me to borrow...
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:16 am

I can never seem to come to a satisfying consensus with myself when it comes to bling. I'll go through periods of blinging everything under heaven and then I'll have yet another epiphany and want to throw all of the shiny stuff away. I'm always fighting the thought that I've gone just over the edge with it, no matter how sparse I tie the stuff in.

There's a wonderful conversation going on about beads and the thorax tie and such. Again, I can find no happy medium here; I'm either all in or I'm consigning all my beads to the bottom cabinet of the bench forevermore. Perhaps medication is the answer. I've got the scotch, anybody got a 100cc's of thorazine they want to trade for a couple of spools of Pearsall's purple?

The flies shown above are all beautiful and now have me rethinking this current blingless episode.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:12 am

When I tied these examples of bling variations my intent was to take them to the 2019 Pacific Northwest Fly Tyers Rendezvous today here in Portland to prompt discussion on variations in tying and fishing Soft Hackles and Flymphs.
ImageIMGP9710 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

These joined a similar display of different Soft Hackles and Flymphs I have used for several years to showcase some of the versatility of Soft Hackles.
ImageIMGP9713 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

ImageIMGP9720 copy by William Lovelace, on Flickr

These worked as intended and several people were interested in the link to the Flymph Forum. I gave away several of the White Miller and P&O Soft Hackles I tied to visitors and other tyers. I even managed to save a few for a fishing buddy who will be at the Firehole next June.

As usual the day was productive picking up some new ideas from the other side of the tables. But the highlight of my day was when Dave Hughes introduced me to his friend and companion for the Rendezvous, Hazel Nemes. He had told me at a previous show she had moved from Bozeman to Portland. I reminded Dave he was on his way home from fishing with Sylvester when I first met him in the 90's at a show he and Rick Hafele were doing in Boise Idaho.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:33 am

Your sign needs to show your formal title...“William Lovelace - Ambassador of Flymphing” ;) :D

I wish I could have sat across from you, watching you tye.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:54 am

None of the flies shown by roadkill, I would consider as too much bling, well nearly, I personally don’t like to see soft hackles tied with beads. I do fish with beaded nymphs, but only really to increase a flies sink rate. But I can see the artistry in flies ties with bling even if the fish do not. I’m not a professional fly tyer, but I am a professional guide and fisherman. I see the main reason for the “bling” shown performing the function of making a fly last longer. I point to Frank Sawyers humble PT. If it wasn’t for the copper wire being countered wound along the PT body, the fly would be unfishable after one fish. Soft hackles certainly don’t last long with a plain silk body, but they are a delight to use particularly on small creeks with a silk line and a cane rod. ( I only guide from a drift boat, fishing with soft hackles is reserved for my fishing ) As I’ve stated many times, it’s my experience that dull flies catch the fish, the bright coloured flies with loads of bling do not. Believe you me I have tried it! In conclusion I would happy tie and fish roadkills flies and fully expect them to work. Even if I can’t tie to the standard shown
As a foot note I’m struggling through six dozen Prince Nymphs at the moment for my clients use. I wish tying the tail and wings were not so much trouble!
Barry
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
ronr

Post by ronr » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:39 am

Bill I really like your show set up... when we get together next week, I'd love for you to give me some help with my set up for the Albany show next spring...

PS.. Ray.. watching Bill tie is a treat. Thats how we got acquainted a few years ago at the NW Fly Tyers Expo. Its even more fun watching him catch fish with his flies...
NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:37 pm

Those flies look fine to me and are very attractive and well tied. I tend to tie my soft hackles sparse and have not felt the need to add any "bling" and I am pleased with the results I get. Nymphs are a different story and I do use tungsten beads, ice dub, and anything else that is not nailed down. The patterns above do look great and I may give a few a try - well done!
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:45 pm

Good presentation Roadkill. Unfortunately, I do not have the time or resources to tie so many variations of one pattern to test it out.

I carry some generic soft hackles with me all the time. They are what I call "Bling". Sometimes they work. Sometimes I think they work. On rare occasion I know they are what the fish are wanting.

I do the same with Nymphs.

Good Post, Roadkill.