Olive caddisfly

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Olive caddisfly

Post by ForumGhillie » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:01 am

While gone for the Christmas holiday week in the land of snow and ice not far from the shores of Gitchee Gumee...
dock.jpg
dock.jpg (155.22 KiB) Viewed 779 times

I kept looking at one of my last season bug viles I left up north. The insects are in perfect shape, just the color is lost. Luckily, I do have photos of each insect and notes about where and when they were collected.

bugs-in-bottle.jpg
bugs-in-bottle.jpg (80.48 KiB) Viewed 779 times

The caddisflies in the vile inspired me upon return last night to try my hand tying some caddisfly adults with just YLI olive silk thread, Bailey's wax, a lovely hen cape and no bobbin. The bodies are short and the wings long and slightly pale in color just like the caddis adults. I can't wait for this coming season to try them out.

olive-body-caddisflies-yli-silk.jpg
olive-body-caddisflies-yli-silk.jpg (171.72 KiB) Viewed 779 times
Boarmountain

Re: Olive caddisfly

Post by Boarmountain » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:30 am

Very nice, John. The yli silk will darken quite a bit when it's wet. I've wrapped many a rod with that color. Love it on blonde cane and white glass.
Mike B.
International, North American, National champion taxidermist specializing in "catch & release" fish mounts
Custom bamboo and glass rods
www.prairiedrifter.com
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:17 am

Very nice. I am positive those olives will do double duty for Mayflies this Spring.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:32 am

Inspiring post John, on so many levels (bug collecting, preserving traditional tying methods, imitative tying, and photography). Graceful little flies. Even more impressive, knowing they were tyed in-hand.

Questions:
What liquid do you use to preserve your insect specimens? Is there one which would preserve the color better, or is the color normally lost no matter the preserving liquid?

Are you going to be doing your caddis presentation again this year? If so, please let us know the specifics.

What color is the hen neck? Is this a cree, or a ginger variant? Either way, that is a gorgeous specimen. Where did you pick that up?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:44 pm

Thanks for the kind words.

Ray, I have two bottles of pure isopropyl alcohol... 91% and 70% (clear, no color). I used the 91%. My wife also got me a bottle of Everclear too, but I am saving that. :lol:

This past year was just a test. I am not that concerned with color over time since I have colored photos of the bugs, along with notes. It is more to preserve the size and shape.

isopropyl-alcohol-91-pct.jpg
isopropyl-alcohol-91-pct.jpg (34.21 KiB) Viewed 741 times
I bought a dozen insect viles online. They are glass with tight screw-on lids - no leaking.

The hen cape is a Cree hen cape I bought a couple of years ago from a fly shop in the UK, along with another one.

No caddis presentation again this coming year, just fly tying demos. My caddis research didn't happen over the summer, thanks to 4 weeks of jury duty and then some other happenings. Maybe next year if I have the time.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:06 pm

I just got summoned for Jury Duty too. :roll:

DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:45 pm

letumgo wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:06 pm
I just got summoned for Jury Duty too. :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was dismissed on the phone!
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:49 pm

:D ;)

Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:34 am

with just YLI olive silk thread, Bailey's wax, a lovely hen cape and no bobbin. The bodies are short and the wings long and slightly pale in color.....
John - great pattern....in our last swap, one of the flies I submitted was similar: Pearsalls Yellow silk(waxed to an olive color, same as a Greenwells Glory) with a small clump of nicely speckled Darbee dun on top. Gink on only the wing makes it float in the film, sort of like a Klinkhamer. A deadly fish catcher!

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:52 am

Dana, you and Mike (Boarmountain) mentioned about how the silk thread darkens. I am noticing Bailey's wax darkens the silk thread body quite a bit. I will test later today in a white English porcelain bowl with water to see the color change to the waxed silk thread. I have to do it while my wife is away. :lol: