Old Pearsall's silk

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

GlassJet

Old Pearsall's silk

Post by GlassJet » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:41 am

Hi,
A while ago I managed to pick up some old Pearsall's silks from a friend, who in turn got them at an auction of bankrupt fishing shop stock, I think it was. The silk is on wooden bobbins, and just out of interest, I am trying to put some kind of date to them.

Anyone any idea when Pearsall's changed from wood to plastic bobbins? Just approximately even?

The colours are lovely btw - more muted. Whether this is due to age or changes in the dying process I don't know.

Andrew.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
Johnno

Re: Old Pearsall's silk

Post by Johnno » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:30 am

Back in the later 70's - early 80's I bought a few on old wooden spools so maybe around then they changed??
Roy

Post by Roy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:07 pm

I think I first saw it on plastic in the mid-late 1970's
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:23 pm

Thanks for the replies....
They are knocking on a bit, aren't they? So far i have been using them, but can't decide whether I should hang on to them for posterity.

Andrew.
mvendon

Post by mvendon » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:04 am

Deleted
Last edited by mvendon on Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:37 pm

Thanks Mark, I'll email, and let you know what he says. :)I do have these dilemmas, whether to use old stuff, or retire them to ornament. I have an old hardy Jet midge rod, 6'3" (hence user-name!) that I picked up a few years ago. I fish with it practically every day in season, as it hangs tackled up on my wall and the river is just over the lane from me. But I do wonder if I should retire it to ornament, or let it go out gracefully, doing what it was made to do! I worry about things like that! :lol:

Andrew
Roy

Post by Roy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:30 am

Further to my
first saw it on plastic in the mid-late 1970's
above, I am certain that there are at least three presentations;
first, 50 yard wooden spools -
then 50 yard plastic spools -
then (now) 45 metre plastic spools, same thing, changed due to decimalisation of measures across Europe.

Mr Cunningham could give us the lowdown, as recommended.

I did have a big bag of that same silk, picked up in a clearout a few years ago at 30p a spool, have been giving them away to fellow tyers at shows,etc.
I have a good set of wooden spools with many colours, looks great in a wooden box at the bench and when I am doing shows. Still viable.

The resurrection of the old shades is well overdue,

cheers,
Roy
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:57 am

I emailed John at Pearsall's, and also sent him these photos:

He says he can't put a precise date to them yet, but he has some like it in their museum and will have a better look when he unpacks it. Must be a very small museum! :lol:

However, we are now strolling down memory lane, as it turns out his great aunt used to live about a mile from me when he was a small child and he used to visit. Interesting because the river that ran at the back of her house is the river i now fish, but then was heavily polluted as a result of the dye industry here - an industry that his uncle used to work in. Now, there are sea trout being caught in that stretch of river.

Times change.

He doesn't think I should use the silk.

Andrew.