North Country spider article

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

joaniebo

Re: North Country spider article

Post by joaniebo » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:19 pm

Andrew

This is the hackle I used on the above flies (my own name for this bird)....upclose it's a very nice reddish / brownish color:

Bob
Attachments
Black & Fiery Brown Furnace Hen.jpg
Black & Fiery Brown Furnace Hen.jpg (553.39 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:31 pm

The Irish dye book I mentioned was written by the Congested District Board. The congested district referred to western Ireland where Donegal is located. The book could have been written 50 years earlier; before the discovery of synthetic dyes. These recipes are basically for what people today call WOI colors. I have a large collection of natural dye books and many others that I have downloaded. I have read every dye recipe that I could find in fly tying literature and reproduced some of the them. I have read every reference to fiery brown that I could find; including the one you mentioned. I have pictures of Rogan's actual fiery brown materials and fly. I really don't know what more I could do to make a case short of having a medium contact Rogan.
Anherd

Post by Anherd » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:57 pm

wsbailey wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:31 pm The Irish dye book I mentioned was written by the Congested District Board. The congested district referred to western Ireland where Donegal is located. The book could have been written 50 years earlier; before the discovery of synthetic dyes. These recipes are basically for what people today call WOI colors. I have a large collection of natural dye books and many others that I have downloaded. I have read every dye recipe that I could find in fly tying literature and reproduced some of the them. I have read every reference to fiery brown that I could find; including the one you mentioned. I have pictures of Rogan's actual fiery brown materials and fly. I really don't know what more I could do to make a case short of having a medium contact Rogan.
As I wrote, you are doubtless right. Rogan dyed several different shades of the colour as well, which can't have made it easy for you.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:00 pm

Here are my results.
Here are my results.
Rogan's Colours.jpg (114.59 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
Aged urine is a high pH color modifier which brightened the colors. A legit dyeing practice.
Last edited by wsbailey on Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:05 pm

Bill - What fur is that? Is it seal?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:12 pm

Pig's wool. I have seal but I haven't dyed much of it yet.
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:39 pm

N01555_10.jpg
N01555_10.jpg (183.85 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
Proof that Medieval Monks used standard angling techniques is shown here in the famous and delightful painting "Thursday" by British artist Walter Dendy Sadler. As can be clearly seen, the Brothers are fishing for tomorrow's fast-day dinner using tackle quite similar to that shown in the woodcuts contained in The Booke of St. Albans. This should place the scene sometime in the late 15th or early 16th century.

The position of the float in relation to the hook indicates that their technique is to fish near the "top" of the water; but that float may be an early form of strike indicator and the anglers are using primitive nymph imitations, perhaps Rosary-bead heads. None of them, however, seem to be fishing "fine and far off" as Master Cotton will suggest a century or so hence, but rather right under the rod tip in an early leader to hand style.

Going by the rather flat and featureless landscape, the scene is more likely to be set in Hants than in Yorks, and the species of fish being fought is somewhat ambiguous. Is it a carp, a barbel, perhaps even the noble salmon? Well, whatever the catch and whatever their order, tomorrow the Good Brothers will certainly be Fish Friars!

(I hope that everyone knows that the above was written with tongue firmly in cheek and all in good fun. The painting dates from 1880 so one can not vouch for the historical accuracy of the tackle or techniques used in the era I suggest the painting is set.
According to the Tate Museum:
"Sadler was well known for his humorous scenes of religious life. In this picture, which is also known as 'Tomorrow will be Friday', he shows a group of Franciscans fishing. These friars were forbidden to eat meat on Fridays, in commemoration of the day when Christ was crucified. In 'Thursday', Sadler wrote, 'The background was made up from studies I had painted in Germany, with the help of some foreground studies made in the previous summer at Hurley on the Thames'. A pendant to this picture in the Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool, called 'Friday', shows the friars enjoying their catch. The 1897 guide to the Tate noted that this picture 'was one of three that commenced Sir Henry Tate's collection'.)
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:57 pm

Zoom in on the fish. By the shape of the head, and size, I’m pretty sure that is a pike...
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:10 pm

Delightful John! Really enjoyed this!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Anherd

Post by Anherd » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:14 am

Greenwell wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:39 pm N01555_10.jpg

Proof that Medieval Monks used standard angling techniques is shown here in the famous and delightful painting "Thursday" by British artist Walter Dendy Sadler. As can be clearly seen, the Brothers are fishing for tomorrow's fast-day dinner using tackle quite similar to that shown in the woodcuts contained in The Booke of St. Albans. This should place the scene sometime in the late 15th or early 16th century.

The position of the float in relation to the hook indicates that their technique is to fish near the "top" of the water; but that float may be an early form of strike indicator and the anglers are using primitive nymph imitations, perhaps Rosary-bead heads. None of them, however, seem to be fishing "fine and far off" as Master Cotton will suggest a century or so hence, but rather right under the rod tip in an early leader to hand style.

Going by the rather flat and featureless landscape, the scene is more likely to be set in Hants than in Yorks, and the species of fish being fought is somewhat ambiguous. Is it a carp, a barbel, perhaps even the noble salmon? Well, whatever the catch and whatever their order, tomorrow the Good Brothers will certainly be Fish Friars!

(I hope that everyone knows that the above was written with tongue firmly in cheek and all in good fun. The painting dates from 1880 so one can not vouch for the historical accuracy of the tackle or techniques used in the era I suggest the painting is set.
According to the Tate Museum:
"Sadler was well known for his humorous scenes of religious life. In this picture, which is also known as 'Tomorrow will be Friday', he shows a group of Franciscans fishing. These friars were forbidden to eat meat on Fridays, in commemoration of the day when Christ was crucified. In 'Thursday', Sadler wrote, 'The background was made up from studies I had painted in Germany, with the help of some foreground studies made in the previous summer at Hurley on the Thames'. A pendant to this picture in the Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool, called 'Friday', shows the friars enjoying their catch. The 1897 guide to the Tate noted that this picture 'was one of three that commenced Sir Henry Tate's collection'.)
I am convinced. I roll over and wave my hands in the air. I repent of believing the rest of the art world when they dismissed this iconic painting as 'bunch of Victorian monks float fishing'. The scales have fallen from my eyes and I am breath-taken. It was there, and we needed you to find it. What can I say? How can we join your cult?

I am typing this on my knees, with tears in my eyes, because the idea that we have been outwitted by a scene showing crypto bubble floating just slays me. Why the hell didn't I think of that? Anyone notice the aliens landing in the background with the Valsesia flies?

I am definitely getting into this whole medieval monk thing. This is what the Romans did for us! :D