North Country spider article

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Anherd

Re: North Country spider article

Post by Anherd » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:50 am

Are the mods OK with this? And everyone else?

I don't want to even accidentally treat the members of what is an exceptionally well conducted forum to anything resembling a domestic dispute. As far as I can tell, people want to learn, and Rob and I both know stuff that the rest of you might not, perhaps, but it is going to be hard going for everyone if the discussion breaks down into a slanging match. Plus, none of us will learn.

Here, while we are waiting for Rob to say OK—and I am sure he will—is a pic of part of Sylvester Lister's MS. You can assess whether Les Magee had problems with the alignment for yourselves. If you have Les's book you can start checking the two against each other, but once Rob has agreed the terms of engagement, I will post both lists in a table so you can assess the differences for yourselves. One thing I will say is that mistakes that Les's made almost all came in the first six flies, and the rest of the list only contained a few slips, the worst of which was leaving out the body for no. 36.

I'm not going to pre-judge this one, you lot are going to be the jury, but it might be worth keeping in mind that we think of George Kelson as a great man, and yet he got the attributions of a very high proportion of his salmon flies wrong, and suggested that there were 60 more than there actually were in The Salmon Fly. So we need to keep this in some kind of perspective.
Attachments
Lister 1898 Patterns-1-9.jpg
Lister 1898 Patterns-1-9.jpg (388.48 KiB) Viewed 554 times
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:07 am

Aherd, in my opinion you two have done well. Even with the prodding from me.

If you two can share a pint or a cup of coffee after this discussion, then I say go full bore.

If you can not sit down after for a drink then I would suggest you stop.

In any event, it has been an entertaining discussion.
Anherd

Post by Anherd » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:35 am

DUBBN wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:07 am
Aherd, in my opinion you two have done well. Even with the prodding from me.

If you two can share a pint or a cup of coffee after this discussion, then I say go full bore.

If you can not sit down after for a drink then I would suggest you stop.

In any event, it has been an entertaining discussion.
I'm fine with sitting down for a coffee with Rob, but I want to ensure that this remains an entertaining discussion and doesn't tip over into something else. If someone asks me a question, then I will answer it, and if someone questions my opinion, then all I will do is to put up the reasons for holding it.

I've just talked to Smith Settle, who published Les Magee's book, and they are OK with me putting up Les's transcription of Sylvester Lister's list here.

All we are doing now is waiting for Rob to clock back in, but I am sure he will.
RobSmith1964

Post by RobSmith1964 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:45 am

Andrew, I'm fully OK with anything you want to post. I'm not sure what email you are taking about, as I haven't posted any email, but never the matter. There is no personal animosity on my part, and I will be delighted to share a drink with you. Of course the real arguments will come when we have to decide who is picking up the tab.
Due to being at work when mostly posting, all my posts are via iphone, which makes things difficult to say the least. I will inform you of the proofreading issue at the BFFI, as dirty washing shouldn't be aired in public.
if the weather forecasts are correct, we are in for a very stormy weekend, we will be thankful we are sat inside!
Anherd

Post by Anherd » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:53 am

RobSmith1964 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:45 am
Andrew, I'm fully OK with anything you want to post. I'm not sure what email you are taking about, as I haven't posted any email, but never the matter. There is no personal animosity on my part, and I will be delighted to share a drink with you. Of course the real arguments will come when we have to decide who is picking up the tab.
Due to being at work when mostly posting, all my posts are via iphone, which makes things difficult to say the least. I will inform you of the proofreading issue at the BFFI, as dirty washing shouldn't be aired in public.
if the weather forecasts are correct, we are in for a very stormy weekend, we will be thankful we are sat inside!
The weather sounds awful, but last year it rained the entire week, and snowed, and just about everything else, as I am sure you will remember!

Hey, don't worry about using a phone. We know what you mean!
Anherd

Post by Anherd » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:55 am

Here we go, the comparison between Sylvester Lister and Les Magee.
Attachments
Lister versus Magee.pdf
(41.59 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
redietz

Post by redietz » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:15 pm

I would have made more mistakes, I think.
Bob
Anherd

Post by Anherd » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:34 pm

redietz wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:15 pm
I would have made more mistakes, I think.
Me too, it was a nightmare list. When I typed it up all those years ago, I remember I had to do it one fly at a time.

I haven't done the math, but although Magee definitely blew it with the Dark Bloa, his other mistakes were limited to missing out the bodies on four other flies (3, 4, 6 and 36) and forgetting to put the word silk in 22 and 26. Also, the first fly is missing the words 'orange silk'. I think Les had a word block there. For a book of its time, which was a pioneer of the genre, he did OK.

The reason for the delay in posting the pdf was that I spent so long yacking on the phone with Smith Settle, (who published Magee's book). They still remember him fondly.
upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:47 pm

Me thinks there could be a novel idea hidden here????????

T.
"We argue to see who is right but we discuss to see what is right"
Anherd

Post by Anherd » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:48 am

upstatetrout wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:47 pm
Me thinks there could be a novel idea hidden here????????

T.
As in a new idea, of a work of fiction? How about 'The Ballad of Les Magee' ??