North Country spider article

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Anherd

Re: North Country spider article

Post by Anherd » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:19 am

redietz wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:56 am I saw that elsewhere. Good article, except for the unnecessary bashing of Robert Smith.
The trouble with Rob's book is that it has to be considered if you present a review of North Country literature. If I left it out, then people would ask why, and accuracy is the problem with it. That's why I footnote stuff in my books, so people can check it, and be sure in their own minds that I haven't printed guesses as fact. It is tedious to do, but necessary if you aren't to lead folk up the garden path. By the way, I have no problems with the fly fishing and fly tying part of The North Country Fly, just the historical side of it.
Anherd

Post by Anherd » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:30 am

redietz wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:25 pm I pretty much take anything Andrew Herd writes as gospel.

My gripe is that if you don't want to talk about somebody, don't spend a page of type explaining why you're not talking about him. Simply don't talk about him. He just mentioned Nemes in passing, for example, even though his early writing on the subject contains numerous error. He could have done the same for Smith. He complains about Smith concentrating on the Wharfedale, but so did Pritt and Edmonds & Lee, who he praises.

Again, that nit aside, it was a great article.
I'm here, you can gripe all you like (-:

But I am going up in defence of Syl Nemes. Sure, he made a few mistakes—but when he wrote his first book Nemes had no idea what the history of soft hackles was, he lived on the wrong side of the Atlantic to find out, and there was no Internet. Nemes put almost everything right in Two Centuries, and his books were so widely circulated in the UK that he played a significant part in rescuing the North Country style from falling into oblivion. So I am sticking up for the guy.

Pritt, incidentally didn't write very much in his books about Wharfedale, although it is easy to think otherwise. In North Country Flies, there are only five mentions of the river. The reason was that Pritt fished the Ure at West Tanfield, where he ran a syndicate. The syndicate still exists by the way, fishing largely the same water, and I fished with them last year. Very, very nice spot.

I must have got you wrong on Edmonds and Lee, though, because I don't complain anywhere in the 54Deanstreet piece about them fishing on the Wharfe.

If people want, Alberto and I will put up some more stuff, I can feel a piece on Edmonds and Lee coming on. The Wharfe is a fine river, but it is a small part of the North Country—there is a lot more out there, and I would hate people to forget all the other beautiful rivers we have.
Anherd

Post by Anherd » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:31 am

DUBBN wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:39 pm It is kind of fun to watch feuds between so called experts.

I have never been interested in the history or traditions of any style of fly tying, or of who invented what pattern first. It gets old, fast.

It can divide a people quickly, as we are expected to choose sides. Or at the least, form an opinion as to which combatant will claim victory.

I prefer to stay neutral, but quietly prod both sides with a stick. The ensuing battle is always fun to watch.

I have to go now. Jerry Springer is on and I never miss an episode.

Today's show is about a wife that bought her husband a Tenkara rod, then found out he was seeing a woman that was in to Euro Nymphing.

😉
OK, try prodding me :D

Andrew
Anherd

Post by Anherd » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:35 am

joaniebo wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:50 pm Years ago, Andrew Herd had a web site called something like "A Fly FIshing History" and on the site he had bunch of videos on tying some of the old dressings. I can no longer find that site but, luckily, I was able (years ago) of downloading the videos. Some good info and some historical details I didn't know about.
Fly Fishing History was hosted by Hector Yamasaki, now sadly dead, in Mexico. When Hector died, his sons offered to keep the site going (it went up in 1996 or 7 believe it or not), but I decided it would be easier to move it to http://www.fishingmuseum.org.uk — one thing that hasn't made it up there yet is the videos, but if there was significant demand for them, I could dig em out. I still have them all.
Anherd

Post by Anherd » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:37 am

Johnno wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:43 pm Interesting article.. great read!

I take it that Mr Smith didn’t take the comments laying down and bit back?
:)
I've not been bitten yet.

Andrew
Anherd

Post by Anherd » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:40 am

wsbailey wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:54 pm
Johnno wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:43 pm Interesting article.. great read!

I take it that Mr Smith didn’t take the comments laying down and bit back?
:)
I would wager money on it.
As I mentioned above, I am here, so if you want to lay a bet, you are welcome. Just don't put down anything you can't afford :D
Anherd

Post by Anherd » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:43 am

Roadkill wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:39 pm Enjoyed the article very much!!
If people want more, Alberto and I can put more up. Just ask what is wanted and we can figure something out.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:25 am

Anherd wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:31 am
DUBBN wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:39 pm It is kind of fun to watch feuds between so called experts.

I have never been interested in the history or traditions of any style of fly tying, or of who invented what pattern first. It gets old, fast.

It can divide a people quickly, as we are expected to choose sides. Or at the least, form an opinion as to which combatant will claim victory.

I prefer to stay neutral, but quietly prod both sides with a stick. The ensuing battle is always fun to watch.

I have to go now. Jerry Springer is on and I never miss an episode.

Today's show is about a wife that bought her husband a Tenkara rod, then found out he was seeing a woman that was in to Euro Nymphing.

😉
OK, try prodding me :D

Andrew
My post was mostly in jest...... How ever me thinks I hit the nail on the head with you. Now if we can get Mr. Smith in here, the stage will be set.
Anherd

Post by Anherd » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:36 am

[/quote]

My post was mostly in jest...... How ever me thinks I hit the nail on the head with you. Now if we can get Mr. Smith in here, the stage will be set.
[/quote]

You know, I think it would bore everyone here to death, me included, this being a pretty dry subject. The problem with duels by reference is that everyone has to go and read the references before making their minds up, and if we were to start out on that, it would be like watching paint dry, only less entertaining. Jest is definitely more amusing!
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:50 am

I doubt the confrontation would be boring. You came to this forum with your hackles up and ready for confrontation. I am sure you will not disappoint.