North Country spider article

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Anherd

Re: North Country spider article

Post by Anherd » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:00 am

DUBBN wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:50 am I doubt the confrontation would be boring. You came to this forum with your hackles up and ready for confrontation. I am sure you will not disappoint.
Well that's great, I am here. Anyone has any questions, just ask. And anyone who wants to know why I think a particular thing is so, can ask too, I won't hide.
ronr

Post by ronr » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:25 am

I've recently, thanks to a friend with an extensive library, been pouring over as much of the old literature as I can. For myself, it only provides interesting background in to the subject of the flies I've learned to tie and love to fish with. I appreciate the research given to the history and attempts to spread the fruits of their labor to us sponges. It does surprise me that there are so many hackles raised arguing about these topics. I get enough of that each day from CNN and Fox....but, a little lively chit chat does make for interesting reading on the forum, and I like Dubbn can appreciate someone throwing a little barb into the mix to stir the pot. Kind of reminds me of the arguments about what is and what is not a Flymph..... right Roadkill....
I did enjoy Mr. Herd's article and appreciate the link provided to it.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:08 am

Anherd wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:40 am
As I mentioned above, I am here, so if you want to lay a bet, you are welcome. Just don't put down anything you can't afford :D
I’m putting my well-being at risk by mentioning this but Alberto and I both got into a”discussion” with Mr. Smith. At the end, I was as red as a beet, and Alberto told me he was too. I did get an apology so I’m cool. If you’re lucky enough not to get bit; then you are the one who should place a bet.
upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:48 am

Could this be another Impeachment brewing????

Tom
"We argue to see who is right but we discuss to see what is right"
Anherd

Post by Anherd » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:52 am

ronr wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:25 am Kind of reminds me of the arguments about what is and what is not a Flymph..... right Roadkill....
Aaaaargh! No, not the what is a flymph argument!

Hey, why is everyone hiding under the tables now? :)
Anherd

Post by Anherd » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:59 am

upstatetrout wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:48 am Could this be another Impeachment brewing????

Tom
I solemnly swear that I have never withheld, or threatened to withhold, support for tying flies in the Ukraine, and furthermore, I have never been a member of the communist party of the United States of America, nor have I cohabited with such a person. :D

I have just sent Alberto a piece about Edmonds and Lee that I had lying around, so if people encourage him, he will post that too. Thanks for all the feedback!
Anherd

Post by Anherd » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:02 am

wsbailey wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:08 am
Anherd wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:40 am
As I mentioned above, I am here, so if you want to lay a bet, you are welcome. Just don't put down anything you can't afford :D
I’m putting my well-being at risk by mentioning this but Alberto and I both got into a”discussion” with Mr. Smith. At the end, I was as red as a beet, and Alberto told me he was too. I did get an apology so I’m cool. If you’re lucky enough not to get bit; then you are the one who should place a bet.
Man, am I sorry that anything like that happened to you. Fishing is for enjoyment, it isn't supposed to be anything like hard work.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:51 am

Anherd wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:52 am
ronr wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:25 am Kind of reminds me of the arguments about what is and what is not a Flymph..... right Roadkill....
Aaaaargh! No, not the what is a flymph argument!

Hey, why is everyone hiding under the tables now? :)
Welcome aboard Anherd!!!

I believe in the flymph elements described by Hidy...

"FLYMPH-A WINGLESS ARTIFICIAL FLY with a soft, translucent body of fur or wool which blends with the undercolor of the tying silk when wet, utilizing soft hackle fibers easily activated by the currents to give the effect of an insect alive in the water, and strategically cast diagonally upstream or across for the trout to take just below or within a few inches of the surface film."

If I use other materials including modern synthetics for tails, weight, attraction, etc, I believe I can still consider them flymphs. :o ;)

I am not hiding under the table just waiting for yesterday's order of Trout Fly Patterns 1496-1916: Volume two to arrive. ;) :lol:
Anherd

Post by Anherd » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:56 am

[/quote]

Welcome aboard Anherd!!!

I believe in the flymph elements described by Hidy...

"FLYMPH-A WINGLESS ARTIFICIAL FLY with a soft, translucent body of fur or wool which blends with the undercolor of the tying silk when wet, utilizing soft hackle fibers easily activated by the currents to give the effect of an insect alive in the water, and strategically cast diagonally upstream or across for the trout to take just below or within a few inches of the surface film."

If I use other materials including modern synthetics for tails, weight, attraction, etc, I believe I can still consider them flymphs. :o ;)

I am not hiding under the table just waiting for yesterday's order of Trout Fly Patterns 1496-1916: Volume two to arrive. ;) :lol:
[/quote]

You know, I did that book because I was fed up having to look up all the patterns again and again, so I started typing them up in Word, and ten years later or something, I thought, 'Hey, maybe this would be useful to other people'. Trouble is, I could probably add on enough stuff to make Volume 2 and a half with all the flies I have come across since. But I use that book all the time myself.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:14 pm

Anherd :)
Good to know, I have spent countless hours trying to find an old fly I think of just in my small library of fly fishing books .
ImageIMGP9948 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

I can't imagine the scope of your "problem"! :lol: