Varying Degrees of Stiffness (play time)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Varying Degrees of Stiffness (play time)

Post by letumgo » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:43 am

Where do you source your peacock herl. It is some of the finest I've seen. Are you using herl directly off the stem?

BTW, if those flies don't catch fish, you might as well go home! They all look like "capital killers", as they used to say.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
joaniebo

Re: Varying Degrees of Stiffness (play time)

Post by joaniebo » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:45 pm

Ray

For many years, I kept buying peacock eyes and then using the wider herls below the eyes / off the stem.. But, I gradually ran out of the wider herl until last year when one of my TU fly tying buddies, who also likes to tie soft hackles and spey flies, gave me some of his stash of wider herl.. Recently, I "put a touch" on him again so I can do a few more of the above dressings before I hit the waters this season.

A couple weeks ago, I went through my BAGS of peacock herl and sorted the herl into a couple bags, namely narrow and wide herls. Seemed like it took forever to sort through the herl, piece by piece but now I can make up a few more flies using the wider herls.

Thanks for the nice compliment. I don't remember ever being skunked when using the above flies.