Quality Starling

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Jerry G

Quality Starling

Post by Jerry G » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:32 pm

With all this very interesting discussion regarding starling usage I broke out a skin purchased some years back and tied a few flies. Now the question lingers whether there is some specifics to look for in a quality skin? For instance a mature bird or a male as opposed to a female bird, time of year when the bird is harvested etc. ?

Regards, Jerry
narcodog

Re: Quality Starling

Post by narcodog » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:41 pm

I read somewhere a great discussion on the subject but I don't remember where it was. Maybe do a Google. Also there are some old patterns that call for different aged birds and male vs. females.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:48 pm

Mike (a former contributer) posted a great piece here: Starling. It covers almost everything you would want to know on the subject.

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:58 am

FWIW the great starling we used to get from the UK is kaput. New laws about shooting starling have dried up the supply over there. Now I know why Mike loved those PETA people so much. Be Very very afraid. Look out for those sea kittens while your at it.
That reminds me of a joke. What did the hiungry Big Sea Kitten say to the small Sea Kitten?
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:13 am

Jerry G wrote:With all this very interesting discussion regarding starling usage I broke out a skin purchased some years back and tied a few flies. Now the question lingers whether there is some specifics to look for in a quality skin? For instance a mature bird or a male as opposed to a female bird, time of year when the bird is harvested etc. ?

Regards, Jerry
Hi Jerry,
I've got some of Roy Christie's little spider patterns to photograph, which I will put up in due course. One thing that struck me when I was looking at them 'in the flesh', so to speak, was not just the quality of the craftsmanship (that came as no surprise and is probably revealed better in the close-up photographs) but it was the selection and quality of the materials that made them really stand apart. All starling skins are not equal, that's for sure!

Andrew.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:13 am

skunkaroo wrote:Mike (a former contributer) posted a great piece here: Starling. It covers almost everything you would want to know on the subject.

Aaron
Aaron, thanks for a great link. :)

andrew.
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:09 am

Many thanks to all that have responded.
Aaron I have read the comments of Mike last night and will do so again as there is plenty of useful information there to be absorbed.
Jim you mention UK starling skins. The starling there has superior tying qualities to ours here in the states? Please understand I'm just wondering why.

Regards, Jerry
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:55 am

Jerry G wrote:Jim you mention UK starling skins. The starling there has superior tying qualities to ours here in the states? Please understand I'm just wondering why.
The UK birds have glossier coats... it's because they all start the day with a greasy fry up and have a pint of bitter for lunch :lol: ;)

Aaron
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:02 pm

skunkaroo wrote: The UK birds have glossier coats... it's because they all start the day with a greasy fry up and have a pint of bitter for lunch :lol: ;)

Aaron
Yup, and as you say, that is just the gals.... 8-)

Andrew, wondering how far we can tease out cultural misunderstandings... ;) :D
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:44 pm

GlassJet wrote:Yup, and as you say, that is just the gals.... 8-)
Took me a minute. :D I do remember chasing a whole lot of UK birds when I was last there.

Aaron