Pattern Suggestions

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

jklett

Pattern Suggestions

Post by jklett » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:22 am

I am making a rod for someone and using claret silk for the guide wraps. I would like to tye a few spiders to go along with the rod and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions that would incorperate the claret silk for the flies. I am somewhat limited as to the hackles I have though, I have partridge, golden and ringneck pheasant, and starling skins. Any ideas?
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Re: Pattern Suggestions

Post by Soft-hackle » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:38 am

Hi jk,
Perhaps an Iron Blue Dun using dark gray starling for the hackle. I'm not sure what other materials you might have, so it's hard to say.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:40 am

Do you have any dubbin?
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:42 am

jklett wrote:I am making a rod for someone and using claret silk for the guide wraps. I would like to tye a few spiders to go along with the rod and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions that would incorperate the claret silk for the flies. I am somewhat limited as to the hackles I have though, I have partridge, golden and ringneck pheasant, and starling skins. Any ideas?
What colour is the rod (if graphite), or what finish does it have (if cane)? Might be nice to know if you're going for a colour palette.

Off the cuff I think claret thread as a rib over muted orange floss with either brown partridge or grouse would make a striking little stonefly.

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:00 pm

I was in line with Aaron, thinking a body of golden yellow with claret rib and partridge hackle. Of course an Iron Blue Dun would be a must. Maybe a claret body ribbed with purple and hackled with starling.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
jklett

Post by jklett » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:16 pm

Thanks for some ideas, I'll post some pictures of the flies next to the rod when it's finished(it'll be in a couple of weeks).
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:06 am

Grouse and Claret if you can get your hands on a grouse hackle...

Andrew.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:34 pm

I like the simplicity of a small spider, with as much of the claret showing as possible. And the contrast of the dark hackle. But this might present better with a partridge hackle if you have one. Just a suggestion.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:21 am

Nice fly William.
Here are a couple of patterns to try:
Broughton's Point:
Silk/Body - Claret
Hackle - Black hen
Wing - Starling Quill
Pritt and Walbran rated this fly highly, especially for Grayling.

Swarbricks No1:
"Abought the 20 Feby you may begin Flie Fishing Make the Winter Brown it is Made From underneath the Wood Cock wing one of the Large Feathers which Covers the quill feathers you Must Make This a Hackle Flie you Must make the Bodey with Red silk and a little Peacock Harl in the Head" - From his manuscript.

Waterhen & Claret:
Silk/Body - Claret
Hackle - Waterhen
This works extremely well when the water is a little coloured.