Swiss CDC clamp initial uses

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

bocast

Swiss CDC clamp initial uses

Post by bocast » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:21 am

I'm enjoying the Swiss CDC clamp. It works better than long tweezers to load small composite loops. Images show a pine squirrel soft hackle and an experimental sparse deer hair hackle.
Attachments
Deer hair hackle
Deer hair hackle
Lumii_20200425_050304701.jpg (84.79 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
Pine squirrel hackle
Pine squirrel hackle
Lumii_20200425_051833400.jpg (121.6 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
I fish wet flies with faith and hope, faith that trout don't require exactitude and hope that when my time comes, God will explain why wet flies work...
hankaye

Re: Swiss CDC clamp initial uses

Post by hankaye » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:24 am

bocast, Howdy;

Well done. The flies, as well as the photography.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:39 am

I've had one of those clamps on my shopping list for the past couple months, but held off due to the price.

Looks like a useful tool. Nice flies. I especially like the deer hair hackle version. Seems like a really interesting idea to play around with.

Please keep sharing your creations.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
bocast

Post by bocast » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:47 am

Hank and Ray, thank you for the encouragement. Posting flies on the Flymph Forum seems like "bringing coal to Newcastle" since I see such exquisite work here by folks so accomplished that I am often struck with awe at the artistry on display. It's inspiring and daunting at the same time. I especially appreciate the elegance of flies tied with sparse hackle and perfect proportions. I have so much to learn.

I'll be trying a variety of deer hair, moose, etc in sparse hackles. I'm eager to find out how they fish; perhaps the intrinsic buoyancy of the hackle may change the attitude of the fly when "pulsed" or briefly dead drifted. I intend to try them as the top dropper on a cast of two or three wets first. I've also done a pale deer hair hackle, then trimmed off all but the "wing" area, then added a second collar in front consisting of a darker hair or a grouse feather. The "sector" wing which results doesn't photograph well but gives a cool impressionistic wing along with an automatic thorax bulge. Time on the water will tell. I hope to be able to post fish proven flies soon! Thanks again for the kind words!