Looking for a pattern

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Looking for a pattern

Post by Soft-hackle » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:09 pm

Hi Everyone,
I've been contacted by a friend who is looking for information on a fly called an Ashy Pale. It was described to me as having a Grouse quill body and a blue/gray or blue purple soft-hackle.
Anyone ever hear of it? I'm thinking the hackle might be starling, but I'm not sure as I don't recall seeing or hearing of this fly.

Your help will be appreciated.
Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Ruard

Re: Looking for a pattern

Post by Ruard » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:03 am

Hi Mark,

Searched for it , but I only could find Ashy dun in A book on angling of Francis Francis and also in a book of Blades and a book of Veniard:

Could not get the book more flat for a better image.

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:40 am

Mark,
I was wondering if you found out any more info. on the pattern "Ashy Pale"? Our friend Ruard did quite well in finding Ashy Dun which was a good read. I have never heard of either one of these patterns. Could it be a regional favorite?
Curiously,
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:51 am

Nice find Ruard. And Dougsden may be right, where is your friend from?

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:16 am

Hi All,
Well, the quest for this pattern came from Andy Brasko. Andy is a tier of Classic American wet flies and was interested in locating this pattern.

Here's what Andy wrote:

" i am trying to find out information on a wet fly called the Ashy pale. This fly was fished by an old gent on the Big D. The fly is supposedly a body of a Grouse quill with a blue/gray or blue/purple soft hackle. Have you seen or know of the fly that I am trying describe? I thought you would be the best to help. I have gone through my Library on wet flies and soft hackles and of only come up with something a tad close. Thanks for your time and I look forward to your correspondance"

The "Big D" is Delaware River.

I was thinking it may very well be a very early pattern, but with a local name applied to it. Ruard's find, might very well be the original. The fly might have been altered, locally.

Andy has joined our forum, and I encourage him to add to this thread if he has any questions.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S