Something new

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Fishnkilts

Something new

Post by Fishnkilts » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:03 am

I have a friend who lives in the United Kingdom and he sent me a large bag of underfur from his dogs last Spring. I immediately used it for the bodies for dry flies to use on the South St. Vrain Creek and they proved to be flies that were not a waste of time to tie because the fish readily took them.

Yesterday I finished tying a box of flies for my neighbor. It was his birthday awhile back and his father gave him a very nice fly box, but it was empty. I told my neighbor to give it to me and I would gladly fill it for him with some of my favorite flies. In doing so, and thinking how well the soft hackled flies have been doing lately on the South St. Vrain I got to thinking that may I can come up with something in a soft hackled version using my British friends dog hair.

SO what I did was I took some dog hair and combined it with underfur from a hares mask. I grabbed my bag of chickabou and began tying. I think I came up with something that will work.

Hook #14 Firehole 609
Thread Pearsalls gold ( I believe it's the gold )
Body Hares mask and dog fur
Ribbing GoldOval Tinsel
Tail Dyed Mallard Flank

I'll be tying more up this evening to try out these next few days. I'll let you all know how they work out.
DUBBN

Re: Something new

Post by DUBBN » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:46 am

Why my pets hate me

:lol: :lol: :lol:
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:51 am

Net Builder Caddis

I use to tye Orange Soft Hackles with fur from my daughters cat.
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:21 pm

DUBBN wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:46 am Why my pets hate me

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's probably because they know you're just using them for their hair. Maybe you should take them fishing with you and show them how their fur has helped you with this sport and then take them out for an ice cream. They may not hate you so much after that. :mrgreen:
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:17 pm

They all have the same look: step away from the clipper, dad....... :roll:
Soft and wet - the only way....
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:18 pm

Fishnkilts wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:03 am I have a friend who lives in the United Kingdom and he sent me a large bag of underfur from his dogs last Spring. I immediately used it for the bodies for dry flies to use on the South St. Vrain Creek and they proved to be flies that were not a waste of time to tie because the fish readily took them.

Yesterday I finished tying a box of flies for my neighbor. It was his birthday awhile back and his father gave him a very nice fly box, but it was empty. I told my neighbor to give it to me and I would gladly fill it for him with some of my favorite flies. In doing so, and thinking how well the soft hackled flies have been doing lately on the South St. Vrain I got to thinking that may I can come up with something in a soft hackled version using my British friends dog hair.

SO what I did was I took some dog hair and combined it with underfur from a hares mask. I grabbed my bag of chickabou and began tying. I think I came up with something that will work.

Hook #14 Firehole 609
Ribbing GoldOval Tinsel
Tail Dyed Mallard Flank

I'll be tying more up this evening to try out these next few days. I'll let you all know how they work out.
I like it.

I've been wanting to clip some hair from one of our dogs when my wife is at work. He's an Australian Shepard with that rusty reddish tannish-thing going on. Your St.Vrain fly has inspired me to tie up my own St.Froid version with a wee color change.
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:28 pm

Mike62 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:18 pm
Fishnkilts wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:03 am I have a friend who lives in the United Kingdom and he sent me a large bag of underfur from his dogs last Spring. I immediately used it for the bodies for dry flies to use on the South St. Vrain Creek and they proved to be flies that were not a waste of time to tie because the fish readily took them.

Hook #14 Firehole 609
Ribbing GoldOval Tinsel
Tail Dyed Mallard Flank

I like it.

I've been wanting to clip some hair from one of our dogs when my wife is at work. He's an Australian Shepard with that rusty reddish tannish-thing going on. Your St.Vrain fly has inspired me to tie up my own St.Froid version with a wee color change.
Go for it, I'd like to see what you come up with. Clip just enough from your dog from an area where your wife won't notice. It's all good.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:23 am

Mike62, Howdy;

Found with Rascal, the underfur was the best. Easiest way to gather is with the brush.
Your dog will enjoy contributing as well.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:08 am

hankaye wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:23 am Mike62, Howdy;

Found with Rascal, the underfur was the best. Easiest way to gather is with the brush.
Your dog will enjoy contributing as well.

hank
But here's the thing; he hates being brushed. I've never seen a dog so opposed to being brushed. Absolutely hates it. The other dog loves it, but she's a GSH and I don't find anything particularly buggy about what little hair she has.

I love using the underfur for tying. We raise, or used to, Scotch Highland cattle and the underfur from those cows made fantastic bodies.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:10 am

(from Mike62) We raise, or used to, Scotch Highland cattle and the underfur from those cows made fantastic bodies.
And yes, that is some beautiful material that you get from them, Mike - thanks again. It is allmost ready to come out of quarantine!

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....