Materials Question - Hackles

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

kanutripr

Materials Question - Hackles

Post by kanutripr » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:18 am

So far I've been tying my soft hackles with materials I've collected for other types of ties. Mostly they've come out pretty good (I hope) but I'm a little limited particularly in the hackles department so I'm starting to pick up a few things that will find the most use for a variety of flies. I've got a few Indian hen necks, a part ring neck skin and a wing from what appears to be some other type of pheasant ( I got these last couple out of a feather grab bag from Bass Pro so there are some usable feathers but a little limited). Most of the flies I will be tying will likely be in the #14-20 size. I'm wondering what I should start picking up, things I will get a lot of use from. I think probably a starling skin for starters but what else? What are some hackles that people use the most? Any useful tips when choosing a skin are also greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
Hans Weilenmann

Re: Materials Question - Hackles

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:25 am

Vicki,

A starling skin will be an excellent start, but I would also recommend checking out a Whiting Coq de Leon hen neck or a Conranch JV hen neck for an abundant supply of feathers which cover your stated hook size range.

Cheers,
Hans W
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:51 am

Hi Vicki,
I second Hans' suggestion, however you might also consider regular hen necks dyed different colors because the have smaller feathers. A great buy are the Brahma Hen cape from Whiting. The price is reasonable and the come in different colors. I particularly like the dark list of these hackles. Check our links page for different suppliers or do a web search for these.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi Vicki,

Completly agree with Mark about the Brahma hen neck. Think also about an English partridge skin from Cookshill and if you really want something try a Golden Plover also from Cookshill.

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:14 pm

Vicki,

The starling is a great place to start, but the use of the feathers takes a little more finess than using a hen neck. The starling stems can be delicate in smaller sizes. Whiting Herbert Miner hen necks are beautiful as are Collins hen necks. And I hope you find a good partridge skin before long. The best advice I was given was to buy the best skins you can afford. You will actually get more for your money, and you will never be satisfied with skins that are second rate. Also, skip the hackles in a bag and get a skin. Look in the links page on this forum for a couple of people that can get you on the right track.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:21 pm

Vicki,

The answer is "All of the above", plus whatever else you can lay your hands on. The feathers I reach for most often are Starling, Hungarian Partridge, and a bunch of nice hen necks that I got from Jim Slattery ( http://www.jimsflyco.com/ ). Denny Conrads (www.conranch.com ) JV hen necks are also really nice.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:29 pm

I started with a Hungarian Partridge and later branched into hen, starling, grouse, et al. Looking back, I think starting out with some good quality, soft genetic hen (Brahma, Conranch, Collins, etc.) would probably have been better. Though I must say that the partridge and starling are must haves as you get going.

See what Jim or Great Feathers have available. Jim has a great selection of the Whiting line (et al) while great feathers has an excellent selection of all manner of game birds (as well as hen).

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:06 am

Many thanks to everyone!

I have a few hen necks but the smallest feathers are probably most suited to #12-14 and most of them more in the #8-10 range. I think I'm going to have to visit the evil fly shop that I don't like to talk about (I shouldn't say that I'm sure they're really good guys, maybe just in and out and no idle chitchat so they don't realize I'm a --SSSHHHH -- Giiirrrll :lol: ) I checked out the two sites from Ron. Beautiful! Thanks Ron, the hubby (read hubby's wallet) will appreciate it!

Man I hope spring gets here soon!

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.