“Mustang Sally”

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

NightWatchman

“Mustang Sally”

Post by NightWatchman » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:18 pm

We have a rescue mustang living with us that we have tried to keep from the glue
farm over the years and Sally was more than happy to surrender a few of her tail hairs to me. Are
there any well known patterns using horse hair as a body material ? I busted my left shoulder
yesterday so I’m down to tying one fly and then taking a long break before maybe starting another. Lol

“Mustang Sally”

Hook. ..... unk. Orphan child found on my desk. Dry fly hook for sure
Thread .... Utc 70 pale yellow
Body. .... Horse tail hair colored yellow
Thorax .... Rabbit and seal both yellow
Hackle. .... Herbert Miner pale dun
Attachments
CD89BFDB-0069-475D-9720-5DB83448512D.jpeg
CD89BFDB-0069-475D-9720-5DB83448512D.jpeg (311.48 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
Variant

Re: “Mustang Sally”

Post by Variant » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:59 pm

NightWatchman,
Beautiful tie. I use horsehair in many patterns it works very well as both a body and ribbing material.
Horsehair Olive Spider , Pearsalls Olive 16-wet fly hook of your choice- body -two layers horsehair wound over silk, hackle -Partridge dyed yellow, tail -hackle fibers .
Good luck with the shoulder.

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
NightWatchman

Post by NightWatchman » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:36 pm

Lou thanks for the compliment and what color is the tail suppose to be on the fly your describing. Sounds good so I’ll probably give it a go.
Variant

Post by Variant » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:31 am

I just take a few fibers from the yellow dyed partridge feather for the tail. I also like the name of your fly.
Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:45 am

Nicely tied fly.

Horse hair makes great bodies or overbodies on flies. It does stretch a bit when wet. Leaders and lines were made from the white tail hairs of a lusty stallion. Mares urinate on their tails, making the hairs weaker. I'd hate to have the fish of a lifetime break off because a horse had to pee.

Leaders and lines were hand furled into snoods (furled sections as long as the hair), then the snoods were tied together to form a tapered line/leader. Horse hair, when wet is pretty tough stuff, becomes fairly translucent, and stretches some to protect the tippet. In Valsesiana, where horse hair lines are still used, lines are 12 to 14 feet long and taper from 14 or 16 hairs down to 1 or 2 over the course of the line.

Hand furling sort of fell by the wayside when machines like Walton's Engine came about, I do believe. I still hand furl because I haven't purchased a Walton's Engine.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:13 am

I am impressed on how the body looks. That is a heck of a gorgeous fly. Do more flies with horse tail and hair and show them.

I hope your shoulder gets better too. But look at it this way, now's a good time to start tying with your other hand. Charlie Craven is right handed, but he ties left handed, and he's an excellent tyer.

But above all, give your shoulder a rest and get better. That's what's most important.
NightWatchman

Post by NightWatchman » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:18 am

Thanks Kilts. Just posted another one and I have to say unless my shoulder suddenly feels MUCH better I gonna take a break. Ouch !
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:37 am

Sorry to hear about your shoulder. I'm amazed you were still able to tye. How badly did you injure it? Is this something that will take months to heal?

By the way, I love the fly and the name of this pattern. I immediately downloaded and listened to the song after seeing your post. Good stuff! :D

In answer to your question, you can find other horse hair patterns listed in Mike Harding's book "A Guide to North Country Flies" and in books by Roger Woolley. Hopefully others will chime in with suggestions.

Here are a couple patterns from the Harding book:
Connemara Gold
Thread - Pearsall's Orange 6A
Hook - Down-Eyed Wet (Size 10 - 16)
Body - Gold Holographic Tinsel overwrapped with Horse Hair
Hackle - Black Hen

Source: "A Guide To North Country Flies" by Mike Harding (Page 146). According to Mr. Harding, the fly is a very effective river fly in colored water, as well as loughs fishing (named after the loughs of Connemara).

Horsehair Olive Spider
Thread - Pearsall's Olive 16
Hook - Down-Eyed Wet (Size 14 - 16)
Body - Horsehair over tying thread
Hackle - Partridge dyed olive
Tail - Hackle fibers (same as hackle)
If your interested in horsehair lines, you may enjoy this link:
https://www.theslidingstream.net/horseh ... y-spiders/
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
chugbug

Post by chugbug » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:08 pm

Potts / Grant style woven fly -- body here is a weave of horse mane and Pearsall's Marabou...
Post 1 Side.JPG
Post 1 Side.JPG (67.21 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
7 Woven Body2.jpg
7 Woven Body2.jpg (142.46 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:16 pm

Love the name of the fly, and the fly! But if we're going to have a 'Mustang Sally', shouldn't we also have a Wilson Pickett Pin? ...just sayin'.