Pritt's #4 Little Winter Brown

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

joaniebo

Pritt's #4 Little Winter Brown

Post by joaniebo » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:36 pm

Yeah, I know that Pritt's says a "sparse dubbing of Hare's ear" but the way I splash the water, I better use more than just a sparse dubbing or I'd end up with a Woodcock & Orange, eh?!
Attachments
Pritt's #4 Little Winter Brown - 01.JPG
Pritt's #4 Little Winter Brown - 01.JPG (338.42 KiB) Viewed 2824 times
Fishnkilts

Re: Pritt's #4 Little Winter Brown

Post by Fishnkilts » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:16 pm

joaniebo wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:36 pm Yeah, I know that Pritt's says a "sparse dubbing of Hare's ear" but the way I splash the water, I better use more than just a sparse dubbing or I'd end up with a Woodcock & Orange, eh?!
I have a question on the hackle. When using hackle that clumps together like on these flies, will the hackle still move as freely as they do when sparsely tied on?
I'm not saying I don't like the look of your flies, or that you should have used less hackle because I believe the tyer has the freedom to tie their flies the way they want to. And they do look nice.
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:48 am

Fishnkilts wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:16 pm
joaniebo wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:36 pm Yeah, I know that Pritt's says a "sparse dubbing of Hare's ear" but the way I splash the water, I better use more than just a sparse dubbing or I'd end up with a Woodcock & Orange, eh?!
I have a question on the hackle. When using hackle that clumps together like on these flies, will the hackle still move as freely as they do when sparsely tied on?
I'm not saying I don't like the look of your flies, or that you should have used less hackle because I believe the tyer has the freedom to tie their flies the way they want to. And they do look nice.
I've yet to see any problems with heavily hackled flies that I tie or fish. As I've often said, the way I splash the water when fishing, a sparce hackled fly would quickly become a no hackled fly.

Additionally, if a person looks at the dressings from the "Old Masters" of North Country flies from the early 1900s, it'll show that not only were the "Old Masters' Flies" heavily hackled but they also had very long hackles as compared to today's "sparsely hackled dressings."

Bob
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:28 pm

Me personally, i’d like to tie them heavy. Once they get a few good chews, it thins out the hackle a little bit, like a haircut.....

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:55 pm

ForumGhillie wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:02 am
Fishnkilts wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:16 pm
Fishnkits, tie one and do some experiments in a bowl, glass or something filled with water. I always tested new patterns and ideas in a plastic water container and then when I get on the stream.

IMHO, tied in that manner they do a good job of imitating a "winged" emerger (mayfly, stonefly, casddis) struggling in the surface film. I used a slightly different pattern tied like that with a heavy soft feather a few days ago, fished on the surface (cast upstream) it fooled a couple early season trout.

John
Thanks John, I'll definitely try it.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:02 pm

What hook did you use for these? I want to copy these... ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:59 pm

letumgo wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:02 pm What hook did you use for these? I want to copy these... ;)
Daiichi 1550, size 14.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:15 am

Thanks, ;) :D

Let the cloning begins! :twisted:
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean