A tying journal

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Fishnkilts

A tying journal

Post by Fishnkilts » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:12 pm

Just out of curiosity, but do any of you have a tying journal of your own? What I mean is a notebook or something similar where you have the material listings of flies that you have developed and even material listings for flies that have been around and are well known?

I have started one because of flies I have came up with for the waters I fish, and also for flies that have already made a name for themselves so I don't have to keep looking at you tube videos or in tying magazines.

I also hope that in time, as long as I keep adding my personal creations, that maybe some day after I am long gone, that someone may find my book, or journal, and copy the flies that I have come up with, or bring back and old favorite fly of many decades ago. Maybe my flies will still be tied 200 years from now along with Stewarts Spider Patterns or other flies that have already been around for 150 to 200 years.

If anything, it's a nice dream to have.
BrkTrt

Re: A tying journal

Post by BrkTrt » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:39 am

I keep a note book with my patterns. They may not achieve the fame given Stewart they will be interesting reading after I have departed.

Alan
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:21 pm

Hi Guys,
I sort of keep a journal of patterns that I have tied in the past. It's a recipe box with recipe cards with sample flies attached and recipes written on each card! What's frightening is the backlog of patterns that I want to do in relationship to what I have done! I have a separate storage box for the patterns "yet to do". I have even gathered materials and threads and placed them in this box. If you think about it, the recipe box should be full (overflowing) and the "yet to do" box completely empty! Perhaps someday...
Doug in the Den
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:12 am

DOUGSDEN wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:21 pm Hi Guys,
I sort of keep a journal of patterns that I have tied in the past. It's a recipe box with recipe cards with sample flies attached and recipes written on each card! What's frightening is the backlog of patterns that I want to do in relationship to what I have done! I have a separate storage box for the patterns "yet to do". I have even gathered materials and threads and placed them in this box. If you think about it, the recipe box should be full (overflowing) and the "yet to do" box completely empty! Perhaps someday...
Doug in the Den
A recipe box is a brilliant idea, along with a sample fly attached. I may have to steal your idea and do that instead of the school notebook I use.

My "yet to do" list is a very short list. I have you tube videos saved for flies that I never get around to tying. But for my personal creations, though very, very limited, it is slowly growing. I guess I just don't have a vivid imagination.
bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:58 am

I use scraps of paper, notepads, photos & printouts, and so on--anything to help me remember some of the more nuanced details for particular patterns. My muscle memory is better than my brain memory--once I get started, that is, The notes help me get started, lol--and stay on track.

bb

Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:22 am

I use web sites as a tying journal to post and share ideas while I am alive. ;) I also have a fishing journal that I started in 1986.

I have photos of of the flies I have posted on Westfly, Salmonfly.net and the Flymph Forum as well as a large 40+ year collection of flies I tied to jog my memory to tie again...
ImageRIMG1814 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

Some sites have gone by the wayside like my access to Fly Fisherman online, Westfly, Salmonfly.net, and our Flymph Google Group, but for over 6o years I have tied from bug to bug as well as inspiration from others. :D
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:36 am

I use PowerPoint to capture photos of my fly patterns, then use the "Speaker Notes" feature to capture the detailed recipe for each pattern. I've been doing this for many years, so I've got several hundred patterns documented. A few years ago, I made up a photo book with all the photos.

LINK SHOWING PHOTOBOOK: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6557
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:37 pm

I use a lever arch file with printouts in clear slips. It’s for my own inventions. Slips include recipe, a blurb and a pic or two, plus a fly as well. I hardly think anyone would be interested after I’m pushing up the daisies.. but it’s useful for me.
nfrechet

Post by nfrechet » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:38 pm

i have a blog that could be considered a tying journal
Flytiers sure have a way at making things difficult
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:27 am

letumgo wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:36 am I use PowerPoint to capture photos of my fly patterns, then use the "Speaker Notes" feature to capture the detailed recipe for each pattern. I've been doing this for many years, so I've got several hundred patterns documented. A few years ago, I made up a photo book with all the photos.

LINK SHOWING PHOTOBOOK: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6557
Wow, very impressive and professional Ray!!! I don't do anything. Note to self, "Maybe you should!"
Greg