Partridge and Yellow Emerger

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Roadkill

Re: Partridge and Yellow Emerger

Post by Roadkill » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:41 am

Niveker,

Aunt Lydia's was my first sparkle yarn going back decades and still makes up a significant amount of my synthetic dubbing!

As an amateur artist I have blended dubbing colors from the very start of my tying.

On the right is my spectrum of Aunt Lydia's colors and blends. :geek:

ImageRIMG2483 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

On the left is my spectrum of Aunt Lydia's colors blended with different color blends of dyed rabbit to make it easier to handle and cut down the flash a little.

Happy fur and feather bending!

Bill
Niveker

Post by Niveker » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:43 pm

Nice dubbing stash, Bill.

When I first started tying, I was into buying the dubbing mixes, but as my collection of material, especially animal pelts, grew, I began to do as you have. My big fault lies in only making tiny batches, but I have at least learned to label the mixes and their use as you have.

As to the Aunt Lydia's, I regularly come across it in thrift stores and just keep adding new colors to my small stash.

Kevin
-- Kevin
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:34 pm

I like the Opal Mirage for the body, it gives it character and a nice slim profile. Great colors too working together like they do.
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:05 am

Roadkill,

Great looking fly!

Here is my question: In the 1st picture, do you have the Antron dubbing under the Opal Mirage (on the abdomen),
or did you just cover the tying thread with the Opal Mirage and the Antron is only used for the thorax?

Thanks- Ken
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:32 pm

FlyFishermann1955,

In all 3 flies, after putting on the tail and tying in the rib, I wrap the thread to the thorax area. Next, I tie in the mylar and wrap it down to the tail and back, then rib the body. The dubbing is then applied loosely in a dubbing loop only as the thorax and brushed back as a thin veil over the body.

Bill