Angler's Club Bulletin Flymphs

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Re: Angler's Club Bulletin Flymphs

Post by tie2fish » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:29 pm

Outstanding work, Carl! Kudos.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Hankinsfly

Post by Hankinsfly » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:31 pm

Old Hat- these flies and presentation are incredible. What are the dubbing techniques used?
SenecaLaker

Post by SenecaLaker » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:41 pm

Carl, many thanks for posting these. These are the types of posts that make this forum so cool. Amazing ties as usual.

Dave
Hankinsfly

Post by Hankinsfly » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:44 pm

I agree with Senecalaker. I love the old patterns. I’d like to sit down and tie and do some fishing with the “oldtimers” who have been around to see the evolution of fly fishing and tying, and are still going back to these old school patterns. Good stuff here. One notion that goes into my great interest in soft hackles, flymphs, wets is these provide for me respite from science and replication, and a step into artistry and suggestion.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:50 pm

Hankinsfly wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:31 pm Old Hat- these flies and presentation are incredible. What are the dubbing techniques used?
I tied these using the method Leisenring describes in The Art of Tying the Wet Fly where if you have not seen it basically ties in the hackle first, then works back onto the tail and/or ribbing. The dubbing stand is tied in near the base of the tail, wrapped forward and then the hackle is wrapped back. I made the bodies from pre-spun dubbing strands on one of William's Clark's Dubbing Blocks replicas.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Hankinsfly

Post by Hankinsfly » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:50 pm

Old Hat- nice- I will have to investigate these methods further. The three techniques I use are the basic noodle, the dubbing loop, and the split thread. Split thread is my favorite but can be difficult.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:22 am

Me too. For most of my tying I use those 3 as well. The split thread I reserve for small patterns. Here are some links under the tutorial sections.

William building a dubbing rope on a Clark's block:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5958

Jim doing it Leisenring style:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5957

Ray tying a flymph. We do it a little different. I like tying in the rib and tail first then the dubbing rope.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7395
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:22 pm

If anyone would like a scan of the Bulletin article, please PM me and I will email it to you. I can also scan and send Pete's "A Salute to Leisenring & Skues" which appeared in The American Fly Fisher, Vol. 6, #4, Fall 1979.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:32 pm

John - I would be interested in reading both pdf documents. Thank you for sharing. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:15 pm

I feel like I'm being sucked into Theroe's hook addiction; can someone tell me what those hooks are? The flies are absolutely gorgeous and now I'm starting to get this ...weird, hook urge.

...thanks Dana.