Starling and Purple

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Roadkill

Re: Starling and Purple

Post by Roadkill » Sun May 12, 2024 10:43 am

Back in '92, I built myself a 6'6" Lamiglas 4 Wt. for those brushy little creeks in Eastern Oregon. Didn't need much distance, but relied on a bow and arrow cast most of the time. ;)
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sun May 12, 2024 1:55 pm

Roadkill wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:43 am Back in '92, I built myself a 6'6" Lamiglas 4 Wt. for those brushy little creeks in Eastern Oregon. Didn't need much distance, but relied on a bow and arrow cast most of the time. ;)
High banks and over hanging branches are the name of the game around here, unless your fishing a still water from a boat. In most places you need a 20 to 30 foot cast to get to the fish. I can get 40 with my little 3 weight, with no problem. A side arm snake roll gets me under the bushes and away from the high bank. Around here river smallmouth and crappie inhabit most of the moving water here, unless they stock some decent trout.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Brooktrout52

Post by Brooktrout52 » Fri May 31, 2024 9:07 pm

This post inspired me to tie up a bunch in 14 & 16. Added a small bead head to some of them. Yesterday was on a small stream that I had not had any success on for several years. After trying some of the usual suspects and getting nothing I tied on a #16 with bead head. Took a nice 12 inch brown that gave a great fight on my 5x tippet. Was great to catch a healthy brown because last summer this stream had a catastrophic fish kill in this section. Nice to see the stream is recovering.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri May 31, 2024 11:32 pm

Brooktrout52 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 9:07 pm This post inspired me to tie up a bunch in 14 & 16. Added a small bead head to some of them. Yesterday was on a small stream that I had not had any success on for several years. After trying some of the usual suspects and getting nothing I tied on a #16 with bead head. Took a nice 12 inch brown that gave a great fight on my 5x tippet. Was great to catch a healthy brown because last summer this stream had a catastrophic fish kill in this section. Nice to see the stream is recovering.
Very cool! That makes me smile.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:19 am

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:55 pm
Roadkill wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:43 am Back in '92, I built myself a 6'6" Lamiglas 4 Wt. for those brushy little creeks in Eastern Oregon. Didn't need much distance, but relied on a bow and arrow cast most of the time. ;)
High banks and over hanging branches are the name of the game around here, unless your fishing a still water from a boat. In most places you need a 20 to 30 foot cast to get to the fish. I can get 40 with my little 3 weight, with no problem. A side arm snake roll gets me under the bushes and away from the high bank. Around here river smallmouth and crappie inhabit most of the moving water here, unless they stock some decent trout.
No smallies or crappie up here, but the salmon to trout ratio this spring is staggering, more so than usual. If I catch 10 fish, 9 of them are going to be salmon. Brookies are a rare commodity so far. At one point I tied on a starling and purple that Alan (Brktrt) had given me, but no no avail. Alan would have scolded me for not fishing it with 'passion'.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:21 pm

Mike,
Well said about Alan P. He was a peach of a guy and a whiz at the vice not only with soft-hackles of all sorts but with feather wing streamers tied in the traditional way! Mounting two and sometimes four long hackles vertically on top of the hook shank is never as easy at the tying videos make it out to be! He did it and did it well!
His soft-hackles were to die for!
Doug in the Den
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:14 pm

DOUGSDEN wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:21 pm Mike,
Well said about Alan P. He was a peach of a guy and a whiz at the vice not only with soft-hackles of all sorts but with feather wing streamers tied in the traditional way! Mounting two and sometimes four long hackles vertically on top of the hook shank is never as easy at the tying videos make it out to be! He did it and did it well!
His soft-hackles were to die for!
Doug in the Den
I'll put your soft hackles right next to his, all day long. I'm a better tier for having known you both; so thank you.