Variation on a Waterhen Bloa

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Niveker

Variation on a Waterhen Bloa

Post by Niveker » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:58 am

Using the Kimono 100 threads, one with #301 (Ichiban), which has been compared to Pearsall's Primrose #3, one with #353 Wasabi, roughly equivalent to Pearsall's Light Olive #20. Natural mole dubbing and shoulder feather from a California Quail.

As I understand it, the Primrose should be well waxed to bring out an olive hue. The Kimono #301 did not do that with the two types of wax I had on hand, which admittedly are no where close to the proper wax, so I switched to the Wasabi. Any thoughts, aside from the obvious uneven application of dubbing?
-- Kevin
Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Variation on a Waterhen Bloa

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:54 am

Both look like killing flies. I'd fish either in a heartbeat. That dubbing should trap a lot of air bubbles. What wax were you using? A dark cobbler's wax is what I use to get that olive hue. The heavier the wax, the darker the hue.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:52 pm

Dear Niveker,
I agree with REE! Both patterns are stunning and should hunt well! Have you turned them loose on your favorite waters?
The silks you mentioned look awesome! I think we are all on the prowl for the next generation of silk tying threads that match closely to Pearsall's!
The distribution of the fur on the silk looks pretty spectacular to me! That's a hard thing to do but it looks like you did it quite well!
Show us more of what you can do! This is exciting!
Doug in the Den
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:29 pm

How dark is the wax you are using? The cobblers wax I use is very dark, almost black.the combination of wax and dubbing help create the olive cast (more noticeable in a wet dressing).

Wonderful job, on both versions. The California Quail is a nice sub for waterhen. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:11 am

Beautiful ties!!! 8-)
Niveker

Post by Niveker » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:57 am

Thanks all for the encouraging comments.

Ron, Ray - the only waxes I have on hand are a Waspi wax and ring wax. I guess its time I picked up some of the darker cobbler's wax to get that olive hue to the thread.

Doug, I have not fished this pattern yet. There is a pretty healthy population of small caddis that hatch sporadically on one of the streams I fish. I'm hoping to test it out soon.

I like working with that silk, but having limited experience with Pearsall's, I'm not sure how different the two are.

Ray, I don't have nor have I held in hand any waterhen, but have read that the California quail is a decent substitute. I think waterhen may be a little softer.

Ron, as to your comment regarding the mole dubbing. Yes, it is a great material, soft and spikey and with a little bit of sparkle, a surprisingly luxurious little pelt. It was a gift from one of my cats. I really get a kick out of getting my own material when I can.

--Kevin
Last edited by Niveker on Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
-- Kevin
chugbug

Post by chugbug » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:13 am

Kevin -
Ron Eagle Elk just sent me a more than generous piece of Bailey's, in connection with the Skues' swap. If you'd like, pm me your address and I'll send you some of it.
Steve
Niveker

Post by Niveker » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:24 am

That is very generous Steve, an offer I can't refuse. Sending a PM now.

-Kevin
-- Kevin
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:27 pm

Niveker wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:57 am Thanks all for the encouraging comments.

Ron, Ray - the only waxes I have on hand are a Waspi wax and ring wax. I guess its time I picked up some of the darker cobbler's wax to get that olive hue to the thread.

Doug, I have not fished this pattern yet. There is a pretty healthy population of small caddis that hatch sporadically on one of the streams I fish. I'm hoping to test it out soon.

I like working with that silk, but having limited experience with Pearsall's, I'm not sure how different the two are.

Ray, I don't have nor have I held in hand any waterhen, but have read that the California quail is a decent substitute. I think waterhen may be a little softer.

Ron, as to your comment regarding the mole dubbing. Yes, it is a great material, soft and spikey and with a little bit of sparkle, a surprisingly luxurious little pelt. It was a gift from one of my cats. I really get a kick out of getting my own material when I can.

--Kevin
“gift from one of my cats“, priceless………… cats are a built in dubbing store!
Soft and wet - the only way....