Henry's Fuzzy Nymphs

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Roadkill

Henry's Fuzzy Nymphs

Post by Roadkill » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:34 pm

This is what Flytying 101, lesson 1, was about for me in 1959.
One of my flyfishing mentors, Henry taught me a simple fuzzy nymph tied on a hook with varied colors of fur and different ribs of tinsel or wire. I had fished these flies with Henry and his brother Les for about 2 years
and learned a lot about presentation.

Here is one of the simple Muskrat flies tied on a Mustad 9672 #12 with black monocord and a medium gold wire rib.

ImageRIMG2501 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

A Mink belly fur tied on a 9672 #16 with orange monocord and a small silver wire rib.

ImageRIMG2504 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

Here is the box finished today with a supply for testing this year tied on M9672 12s & 16s...

ImageRIMG2493 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

Furs from left to right...
Muskrat, Beaver, Dyed Mink, Dyed Rabbit, Black Beaver, Natural Mink Belly

Each row from top to bottom is ribbed by either...Gold Twist Thread, Gold wire, Silver Twist Thread, or Silver Wire
Variant

Re: Henry's Fuzzy Nymphs

Post by Variant » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:46 am

Bill, Looks like you had really good fly tying and fly fishing mentors.
Those flies will catch just as many fish today as they have in the past.

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:22 am

pst... bill... can i borrow a few flies... :twisted: ;) :lol: :D

You are definitely ready for action. Wonderful set of flies.

None of my fly boxes are ever that well organized.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:26 am

Bill, it made me smile to see you post your flies from the past. I plan on tying a few. Especially the Black ones!
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:32 am

Thanks Lou! I have never been without some in my vest for over 60 years. ;) My next lesson from Henry was adding a hackle. No name Flymphs were born to me at that time in my tying.

That is the reason I joined the IBF when I learned about it in the 80's. I was fascinated to learn that I fished some of the same waters that Pete did with my rudimentary flies in eastern Oregon.

My mentors from getting my first fly rod through High School also included flyfishers on the pages of Outdoor Life and Field and Stream. I eagerly waited for the next issue to come out of the mailbox. :D ;)
Variant

Post by Variant » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:18 pm

Bill,
I also had a few mentors but like you I also waited for Outdoor Life and Field and Stream. I also learned from Professional Fly Tying and Spinning Lure Making Manual by George Leonard HERTER and Jacques P. HERTER. The book went through 19 printings. I also received their catalog . I still have some old hooks from them and they are very good quality and were made in England.

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:37 pm

Out of curiosity. Do you guys keep all your old magazines? I save all my fly tying magazines (much to my wife's shagrin). I do go back thru them time to time, searching for old patterns, or specific articles. Just can't bring myself to throw them away.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:30 pm

Lou,

I never got the Herter's Catalog, but my early good dry flies used their hackles supplied when Henry ordered things. My local fly and material supply was a drug store in Baker, mom's sewing basket, & my .22 or 20 Gauge.

Beside the magazines, a 4-page FUNDAMENTAL OF FLY TYING instruction pamphlet in my tying kit was all I had until I was in college and bought the 1970 Pacific Northwest Fly Patterns put out by Patrick's Fly Shop in Seattle. Eugene didn't have a fly shop at that time, but flies were available at a local hardware store.

Here is page 1 that got me started...
ImageFly tying -Burch 1959 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

Ray,

Downsizing has eliminated almost all my old tying magazines. :cry: But my flyfishing and tying books have grown into a nice library! ;) Besides the internet has made this the informational age of fly tying. 8-)
ronr

Post by ronr » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:24 pm

I do hang on to a few of the old mags... Mostly to refer to articles about places and rivers, rather than a source of tying reminders. Youtube has made it hard to justify the subscriptions, at least until Youtube starts charging or the ads get so obnoxious I can't take it anymore.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:54 am

Something about a box full of simple flies that says: "it's me and you trout. Me. And. You."

Beautiful set of flies Bill.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com