Gray Nymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Gray Nymph

Post by letumgo » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:16 pm

Lots of great information in this thread. I've promoted it to a "sticky" post.

Great photo John. I love these sorts of underwater shots.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:36 pm

ForumGhillie wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:15 am Lots of great info in this thread!

What I like about muskrat fur is when in the water it turns to a nice grayish-brown color tone. I prefer to tie it in a #16-18 size.

This photo is from quite a while ago. I was playing with muskrat guard hairs as a tail and seeing how it moves in the water.
The fur appearing to have Brown tones must have something to do with where the fur was taken from the pelt. It may also have to do with how much of the guard hairs and brown tips that were removed.

My observations show that when all the underfur (which I prefer) is seperated from the guard hairs and Brown tips, the tone is dark Gray. No Brown tones whatsoever. Both wet, dry, and observed underwater.

I am glad we had this Muskrat discussion. In my opinion, Muskrat is an under utilized dubbing.
Last edited by DUBBN on Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tworod

Post by tworod » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:40 pm

Muskrat has been replaced by the synthetics for no real reason in my mind. It is still a great material for both dries and wets. The ancients valued it highly.
Like all natural furs there are variations both on the animal and between them.
Here are two pieces showing the difference along the transition line between belly and back of a muskrat with common coloration. Quite a difference in length and color of the fur and the guard hairs. In my experience, muskrat is the easiest fur to remove the guard hairs from the underfur. Much easier than beaver.
Attachments
Muskrat Transition.jpg
Muskrat Transition.jpg (85.97 KiB) Viewed 22210 times
Muskrat.jpg
Muskrat.jpg (61.66 KiB) Viewed 22210 times
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:27 am

I love muskrat, it's wonderful stuff (I feel ancient this morning). I wish we could do better justice to the fur. What I mean is, last summer I was floating a small pond, not paddling, just floating and thinking, and I watched as a muskrat came from the bank and swam directly under my canoe. The sun was shining down and the colors that flashed off that muskrat were spectacular. I don't have the words to describe how they changed and shimmered as he moved through the water, like technicolor heat lightening. Beautiful.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:12 am

tworods - A few years ago I purchased a kit muskrat skin from Blue Ribbon flies. When I got the skin, I gave it a good wash and then dryed it out flat.

I was amazed by how glossy and shiny the fur is when dry. The back fur is dark brown, while the belly fur is very pale gray/dun color.

Mike - I've seen the same thing, while fishing with my Dad. Fun watching them swim along. We use to also watch beavers swimming around their dams/lodges. If you got too close, they would slap their tail on the water (SMACK) in protest. Always brought a smile to my face.

Muskrat fur is useful for flymphs and streamers too. Here is an example of Pete Hidy's flymph. I believe the fur is muskrat without guard hairs.

I really like the look of a muskrat zonker strip for baitfish patterns.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Variant

Post by Variant » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:04 am

Great looking flies and pelts. When I was kid I would help a neighbor on his trapline. I was surprised at the different shades and colors of the muskrat pelts, years ago I purchased a bleached muskrat pelt and used the lighter colored fur for tying , very similar to mink but less problems with the guard hears.

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:07 am

Howdy All;

Now I feel like I've lost out on a true resource.
When I first joined the 'Flymph' crew I was staying at a campground in Ohio having
a legal scrap with the #2&4 ex. The campground was along a lake where I'd practice
my efforts at casting and catching Bluegills and an occasional Crappie.
Anyway, I met an older gentleman that contracted each year with the College that
owned/controlled the Campground, Lake and was responsible for the Earthen Dam
that contained the lake to do Muskrat control. He'd trap during the legal season and
I'm not sure but I think he had a special permit to pursue them most of the year.
Didn't even dawn on me that I could have purchased 1 or several full body pelts from him.
All sizes, all ages from kits to grandparents, so-to-speak.

Our friend Doug from the Den lives about an hours drive from Lake Snowden ;) .

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:32 pm

Hank,
Wow! I did not read your post until now! This is awesome! You were at Snowden? I have to admit, I've never been there! It sounds like muskrat heaven! Yes Hank, never pass up an opportunity to cash in on 'rats! Awesome fur!
Doug in the Den
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:24 am

Doug of the den, Howdy;

Sent ya a PM.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin