Black Gnat Blue Twist

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Johnno

Black Gnat Blue Twist

Post by Johnno » Sat May 01, 2010 7:37 pm

A variation of an old New Zealand pattern called the Black Gnat Silver twist which is esstentially the same but with silver instead of the blue and has a tail.

Hook: 10 - 14 wet fly of choice
Thread: Black
Body: Black Ostrich Herl with Blue lurex spun into a rope
Hackle: Black hen.

Blowfly imitation
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Black Gnat Blue Twist

Post by letumgo » Sat May 01, 2010 9:04 pm

Marvelous fly, John! Looks like a very effective fly.

Question - I am not familiar with "lurex". Is it similar to krystal flash or flashabou? How many strands do you use to create the body?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Sun May 02, 2010 5:43 am

Yes, I like that too. :)

Much under-used, ostrich herl, in my opinion. One of my best 'fish catching flies' is simply a hen hackle palmered over an ostrich herl body.

Andrew
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Sun May 02, 2010 9:49 am

Tell you what I would do with that fly, I would palmer it with a small hackle and fish it on lakes in a ripple. It would slay fish, especially rainbows. Then it would be a 'bumble.
Great tying though.
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Sun May 02, 2010 1:56 pm

flyfishwithme wrote:Tell you what I would do with that fly, I would palmer it with a small hackle and fish it on lakes in a ripple. It would slay fish, especially rainbows. Then it would be a 'bumble.
Great tying though.
It worked brilliantly for me on the river, as red soft feather cock palmered over brown ostrich herl, tied real scruffy. Tied it first end of last season when the willow fly were on the water - lethal on grayling. 8-) Then this last week fished it again and seems effective on trout when olives are coming off. Fished in the surface, just seems to scream 'fish food'! :lol:
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sun May 02, 2010 11:48 pm

Yes, I recently saw "lurex" in a couple pattern recipes and was curious as well.

Great fly, I love ostrich and have had luck with a very similar fly just much slimmer.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Tue May 04, 2010 5:21 am

Its sorta like a thin twisted deep blue tinsel with a very thin black thread running though it. Comes in 4 ply strands that can be seperated out to make it thinner if desired.

Uni have a fairly similar product called "Axxel" which comes on spools. The Royal Blue is a nice colour although not as deep as the above pattern.

BTW I also have a Black Gnat Green Twist with deep green instead of the blue.. Also works well :)
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Tue May 04, 2010 8:30 am

I have seen Lurex but I always thought it was just a flat tinsel, this is good to know.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."