The Dark Watch

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Roadkill

The Dark Watch

Post by Roadkill » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:34 pm

This is my variation on the Dark Watchett. I wanted to make a darker fly than that using the Orange silk as the main tying thread and test the 2 flies on the same cast.

Hook- Wholesale Fly Company M21 #12
Thread- Purple Kimono Silk ribbed with Kimono Orange silk
Thorax-Muskrat back
Hackle & Tail- Outside feather from a Moorhen wing

ImageRIMG9135 by William Lovelace, on Flickr
Mike62

Re: The Dark Watch

Post by Mike62 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:00 pm

Man, you and our dear departed friend, Alan Petrucci, make purple look good.

...too bad it's still purple.

Alan dared me to tie a purple fly for him, so I did. I told him it would never work. He promptly went out and caught a fish with it. I've been trying to catch a fish on purple my entire life! God, I hate purple... you know, except when other people tie it, then it's gorgeous.

End of rant. Beautiful fly, Mr. Bill.
Terrestrial12

Post by Terrestrial12 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:17 am

Mike have you tested to see if you are the curse and not the purple by fishing a purple fly tied by someone else? I'd be happy to send you some. Purple has always been my secret juju.
DarrellP

Post by DarrellP » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:16 am

Great tie! I would not have thought to rib it like that. I am inspired by your fly.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:48 am

Terrestrial12 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:17 am Mike have you tested to see if you are the curse and not the purple by fishing a purple fly tied by someone else? I'd be happy to send you some. Purple has always been my secret juju.
Lol, I know I'm the curse; it isn't the color purple's fault. Alan had sent me a handful of 'purple' before he died and said, "Fish the fly, it isn't the one that bites".

Thank you sincerely for the offer, but I think I need to work on my shortcomings through my own vise; I tie purple stuff, now I just need to fish it with a little confidence.