Hidy Iron Blue Dun

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

ronr

Re: Hidy Iron Blue Dun

Post by ronr » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:54 am

Carl.. I have the Overfield book but I envy your ability to take those black and white photos and fly recipes and turn them into a work of art. I look forward to seeing you in Albany this spring.
Variant

Post by Variant » Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:14 pm

Great job, Carl!
That is what I call “Purposeful Tying”

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:28 am

Wow and again--Wow! I dream of finding a fly like this in my vise. The tag and the head don't even look like they are thread wraps. It's wonderful how the thread is visible through the dubbing (almost like a rib). Did you use a dubbing rope? And the "spread out" hackle just finishes the fly perfectly. How do you tie off the hackle when you wrap it back through the thorax?

The only thing that would make this even better would be seeing this fly wet!

How do I sign up for a tying lesson?

Thanks- Ken
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:43 am

Variant wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:14 pm Great job, Carl!
That is what I call “Purposeful Tying”

Lou
I try my best. :D
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:50 am

FlyFisherMann1955 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:28 am Wow and again--Wow! I dream of finding a fly like this in my vise. The tag and the head don't even look like they are thread wraps. It's wonderful how the thread is visible through the dubbing (almost like a rib). Did you use a dubbing rope? And the "spread out" hackle just finishes the fly perfectly. How do you tie off the hackle when you wrap it back through the thorax?

The only thing that would make this even better would be seeing this fly wet!

How do I sign up for a tying lesson?

Thanks- Ken
Thanks Ken. I did not use a premade rope but rather a dropped loop from the hook. So I made the rope on the hook. This is size #18. I do this often on 16-18.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Terrestrial12

Post by Terrestrial12 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:19 am

Carl this....THIS is where it's at!!! I often see this fly tied with a big bright red butt and head that looks nothing like a natural, more like an attractor pattern. In your version you can clearly see how the under color of the silk works with the color of the fur to give a translucency and overall hue as it was intended. Your version shows what a genius and savant lisenring really was. Well freaking done!