Red Fox Squirrel Flymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Terrestrial12

Red Fox Squirrel Flymph

Post by Terrestrial12 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:24 am

The RFSN has been one of my favorite flies since long before Mr. Whitlock passed. It's one of those flies that 10 different people can tie the exact same thing and come up with 10 different looking flies and with everyone posting them lately that's become even more apparent. I sat down to tie a few and figured I might try something just a little different.....
Hook-12 1XL
Tail- guard hair
Abdomen- half squirrel belly, half SLF spun on copper colored GSP
rib- sybai flat wire, gold, small
Thorax- squirrel back under fur 75% gray 25% orange
Hackle- speckled ginger hen, one side stripped and wound trough thorax flymph style but it's very sparse and hard to tell
Thread- claret utc
Attachments
Snapchat-2086744673-01.jpeg
Snapchat-2086744673-01.jpeg (112.97 KiB) Viewed 2696 times
FlyFisherMann1955

Re: Red Fox Squirrel Flymph

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:04 am

Very nicely executed. Perhaps a Whitlock-themed fly swap is in our future!

Tight lines- Ken
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:25 am

FlyFisherMann1955 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:04 am Very nicely executed. Perhaps a Whitlock-themed fly swap is in our future!

Tight lines- Ken
Sadly, the only pattern I knew of Whitlocks was Daves Hopper. I had heard of the man, but never paid alot of attention to him over the years.

I have searched his patterns on YouTube. Looks like the Squirrel pattern is the only one I would use.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:23 pm

Dearest T-12,
Wow! I think I'm love...with this beautiful pattern of yours! Why didn't I think of this before now? These have to get added to my RFSH box and then off to the waters edge for field testing! Your pattern recipe shows great care in bringing together the materials and your tying is absolutely spot on in all respects! It looks great! Thank you for creating such a great looking pattern! Dave would be very proud!
Ken, excellent idea for the next swap! I wanna be first on the list!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:08 pm

Great looking fly, would be good for the October Caddis hatch as well. 8-)
Terrestrial12

Post by Terrestrial12 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:15 pm

@DOUGSDEN Wow.....I'm speechless at your kind words. I lurked around this forum for a long time trying to learn the ropes before I had the guts to join and post any of my work. Getting praised by a staple of the community like yourself means a lot to me. I would be in for a fly swat too! Dave had a ton of really cool patterns but most only knew him for his RFSN and only for its most modern version. He actually had maybe 10 or so versions of the same fly over the years constantly evolving with the new materials and trends. I prefer to actually use a squirrel skin and not just SLF so I thought it would lend itself nicely to flymph form. I will say tho the red squirrel SLF is excellent and about the only synthetic material I use. Definitely tie some up and post some pictures!!
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:06 pm

T-12,
I applaud you for coming up with a pretty special recipe for this pattern! I do both the SLF already mixed and ready to go and I have done my own "cooking" (blending) of squirrel furs and Antron! It's not as easy as it sounds! Your recipe and its resulting look on the pattern is astounding!
Doug in the Den
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:04 pm

T-12,
I am still enamored with your RFS Flymph! I have gathered all the ingredients here on my overgrown desk top (they're under there somewhere!) and I'm starting the process of duplicating the look of what you have created above! Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! I hope you don't mind if I flatter you a bit! I will take some pics and you can critique my work!
Your flymph has opened up a whole new avenue for me and encouraged me to get cracking on this most favorite of patterns! Thanks for that!
In the Den,
Doug
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:52 pm

Several months ago, I tied a few of the RFS nymph and gave away most of them to some friends. i think I have only 3 or 4 left. Needless to say, there will be more in my fly box before my next fishing trip.

Bob
Attachments
Red Fox Squirrel Nymph -03.JPG
Red Fox Squirrel Nymph -03.JPG (480.17 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:32 pm

Delicious looking Bob! Your patterns are fantastic! I love the way you have "adjusted" the hackle (light, dark) and the wonderful effect it gives! I can see any of these anchored in the scissors of a huge trout! Please verify this with pictures....lots of pictures!
Thanks friend for posting these!
Doug