Thread - Black
Body - Rear half orange thread, front half black thread
Hackle - Black hen

Fishing Flies - Malcolm Greenhalgh & Jason Smalley
Flytiers sure have a way at making things difficult
Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Ruz-Du

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:52 pm

Beautifully dressed, Norm. I'm curious to know if the original pattern was dressed with silk thread. Looks like I need to look that one up.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:38 pm

Striking pattern Norm.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
nfrechet

Post by nfrechet » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:25 am

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:52 pm Beautifully dressed, Norm. I'm curious to know if the original pattern was dressed with silk thread. Looks like I need to look that one up.
i would take a guess that silk thread was originally used but the book did not specify

i dont tie with silk threads and i dont think the fish know the difference :o :D

from the book

These are very simple flies to tie, many having a body of only tying thread (use a round thread – not flat thread, nor floss silk); if using real silk thread (e.g. Pearsall’s Gossamer), wax the thread with solid tying wax. As one name for these flies indicates, the hackle is a soft one, usually from a game-bird, sometimes a hen barnyard fowl. Game-bird hackles usually have a very thick stalk, so they are tied in by the feather tip (stroke the hackle fibres back to expose the tip). The hackle should be sparse: two or two-and-a-half turns at most. Hooks: wet fly, sizes 13–4, unless otherwise stated. They are still very effective flies to use, in both rivers and lakes anywhere in the world, when trout, char, grayling or other fish are feeding on flies or emergers at, or close to the water surface. There are many recorded instances when these have out-fished more precise imitations of what the fish were eating. In rivers fish ‘dead-drift’, in lakes cast out and tweak or work back slowly.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:05 am

Thank you, Norm. When I started to check on it, I discovered my library was short a book. Much appreciated.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:24 pm

IMG_0592.jpeg
IMG_0592.jpeg (418.45 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
nfrechet

Post by nfrechet » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:53 pm

interesting

which book is that from?

thanks in advance
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:25 pm

“French Fishing Flies” by Jean-Paul Pequegnot. Another fly in the book is Peute.