Connemara Black

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

GlassJet

Connemara Black

Post by GlassJet » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:18 pm

Forgive the wing, but I've been meaning to start to learn these classic Irish patterns for ages now, and finally plucked up the courage! :shock: :lol:

Connemara Black by GlassJet, on Flickr

Tied on a #10 wet fly. Black tying silk, Silver wire tag, yellow floss tag, oval silver rib, black seal's fur dubbing, black genetic hen hackle, blue jay beard.

What do you guys use for head cement? I hardly even use it, and the stuff I have someone gave me ages ago. The consistency of it is as thin as water though, whereas the photos of neat heads I've seen, it looks like the varnish must be thicker?

Cheers,
Andrew.
Edit: forgot the tail: Golden pheasant crest! Well it is so subtle, easily missed... ;) :lol:
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Connemara Black

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:05 pm

For those times I use head cement, I've been using Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails fingernail polish. I usually try for the kind with nylon. Inexpensive, lasts a long time and only slightly embarrassing the first time you buy it at the make up counter.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:09 pm

I love the Irish flies.

If you want that clean glassy look on the heads the secret is layers--many many layers. The consistency of your varnish is actually very good--thin lacquer will soak into the wraps and provide a good base for the layers.

A little tip vis-s-vis the wing... Start the head back a bit further and trim the butts at a rough 45 degree angle, being sure to catch any errant fibres so that they don't peak beyond the eye. With practice (and I mean a lot of practice) you'll be able to cut them before you tie them in. Try also unwinding (flattening) the silk a little before you whip finish--it will reduce the size of the finished head and also provide a nice smooth base for the lacquer.

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:31 pm

skunkaroo wrote:I love the Irish flies.

If you want that clean glassy look on the heads the secret is layers--many many layers. The consistency of your varnish is actually very good--thin lacquer will soak into the wraps and provide a good base for the layers.
Hmm, not sure i have the patience for that... ;)
skunkaroo wrote: A little tip vis-s-vis the wing... Start the head back a bit further and trim the butts at a rough 45 degree angle, being sure to catch any errant fibres so that they don't peak beyond the eye. With practice (and I mean a lot of practice) you'll be able to cut them before you tie them in.
Aaron
Yes, I was too far down the shank right from the first wrap. Never tied these before, and it feels odd having to start so far back. I'm learning from the Malone book, 'Tying flies in the irish style', and there are some beautiful patterns in there...

Am I right in thinking partridge hackle dyed blue is used as a substitute for jay, does any one know?
Cheers,
Andrew
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:32 pm

Ron Eagle Elk wrote:For those times I use head cement, I've been using Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails fingernail polish. I usually try for the kind with nylon. Inexpensive, lasts a long time and only slightly embarrassing the first time you buy it at the make up counter.

REE
LOL! You are braver than me - I sent the gf in for mine... ;)
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:17 pm

Ron, it's only uncomfortable to buy Sally Hansen's when there is a line of
customers waiting behind you.

I've been using it for years, and it seems to have a pretty good shelf life.
And it's nice when our flies and fingernails match.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:26 pm

I use Sally Hansen's Hard-As-Nails (sometimes abbreviated "SHHAN") clean nail polish for head cement. Trim the brush down to only 8 or 10 fibers and it works beautifully.

I ocassionally visit the local Hot Topic store for some of their punk nail polish supplies. The black and purple nail polish works well on flies as well. My daughter was with me the last time and was laughing at me when I was looking at nail polish. :lol:

Rodger (chase creek) - that is too funny! :lol:
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:28 pm

Sorry Andrew - I got distracted and forgot to add "Beautiful fly!". I really love the look of Irish style flies.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:43 pm

Very nice...a question for y'all, though: I know it doesn't make sense to obsess over making inherently impressionistic flies "anatomically correct" :lol: but I've always wondered what the thinking was behind the woodduck wing, say, on a Quill Gordon wet or the bronze mallard on this example. Wings unfurling behind an emerging adult? A spent husk? Or just a bit o' flutter and contrast that lights up the "must be food" synapses in a pea-sized, piscine brain?
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:54 pm

While discussing head cements and I too use Sally's or some sort of clear nail polish or as I'm using now Acu Tone nail hardener I'm getting up in the years and forgetful I'm sorry to say. All to often the cap is not tightened down and the stuff gets a little heavy. With that I shopped for a thinner and found that in a pint sized bottle . 100 0/0 Acetone at the WalMart in the nail polish section. Just a couple drops in the bottle give it a shake, let the bubbles settle before applying.

Regards, Jerry