Little Black Spider aka Callie's Spider

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

GlassJet

Little Black Spider aka Callie's Spider

Post by GlassJet » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:43 pm

I've, erm, been playing again! :lol:

ImageLittle Black Spider by GlassJet, on Flickr

Hook: Black, #12. Silk: Pearsall's brown, well waxed with cobblers' wax. Abdomen: Mole, sparsely dubbed into split thread and twisted. wound in open turns down the body. Rib: Silver wire, wound in between open turns. Thorax: Blend of Argentinian hare's ear dyed black, black seal's fur and a touch of claret seal's fur. Hackle: Sumatra soft feather cock.

I have no idea what that hook is, other than it is black. I thought it was a Tiemco 103 BL, which I do have in, but just checked and it isn't. It just turned up, this hook, attached to a small magnet I have on the pedestal of my vice. No idea where from, but been saving it and thought it time I used it! :D

It looks like a Grip - does anyone know? But I don't have that style... think it must have fallen out of some stuff people send me from time to time.

Called Callie's Spider after my friend who is good enough to put me up on her farm from time to time. And she wears black a lot. She also breeds - or bred - various exotic chickens, and has given me a lot of beautiful feathers to play with over the last few years, including these sumatra, which are superb.

Unfortunately, almost all her stock was wiped out by mink. :evil: And that was some stock. If you think I have a grudge against dem pesky mink, you would be right. :twisted: I'm like Elmer Fudd in Bugs Bunny when I'm over there! :lol:

Andrew.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
DOUGSDEN

Re: Little Black Spider aka Callie's Spider

Post by DOUGSDEN » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:48 pm

Glassjet,
I like it when you play around at the vice. Please keep playing. This black beauty is exquisite!
The hackle is great but the body is just right. Very delightfully shaggy.
Mink is an excellent dubbing. Have you ever considered going back over there and having a mink trapping festival? Is that legal where you are?
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:55 pm

Oh man!!! GREAT fly Andrew!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:06 pm

Very appealing and classic!

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:36 am

DOUGSDEN wrote:
Mink is an excellent dubbing. Have you ever considered going back over there and having a mink trapping festival? Is that legal where you are?
Dougsden
Hi Doug,
Fenn traps are illegal. Live traps are legal, but then you need a gun to dispatch them, which we haven't got - yet! :twisted:

These mink are american mink, and they were 'released' into the wild from fur farms, by animal rights activists, so it is incredibly annoying. They are indescriminate killers - Callie lost over thirty birds in one night when they got in the pens, and we are talking birds like this: here is the sumatra:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/ ... atras.html
and onagadori (one of the ancestors of the genetic fly tying breeds)
http://www.longtail-fowl.com/japanese_b ... album.html

That is just a couple. Lost lots of great fly tying feathers there!
Like the idea of a mink trapping festival though!

Andrew
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:42 am

A lovely wee spider to be sure. Sorry about those Yankee mink ...
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:54 am

now THAT'S a fly! beautifully done, thanks for posting.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:43 am

Spot on! I love to see that kind of liveliness in a tiny spider. That's a killer.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:24 am

GlassJet wrote:I've, erm, been playing again! :lol:

Called Callie's Spider after my friend who is good enough to put me up on her farm from time to time. And she wears black a lot. She also breeds - or bred - various exotic chickens, and has given me a lot of beautiful feathers to play with over the last few years, including these sumatra, which are superb.

Unfortunately, almost all her stock was wiped out by mink. :evil: And that was some stock. If you think I have a grudge against dem pesky mink, you would be right. :twisted: I'm like Elmer Fudd in Bugs Bunny when I'm over there! :lol:

Andrew.
I know how you feel Andrew. My Lady freind Sherry has had a nice flock of Chickens for many years. The past 2 years a skunk (Peppy le Pew), has raised havok with the flock. killed and drug off to eat several hens and a few roosters. Lost a lot of pretty feathers :cry: The polecat (another name for them), even squrted my dog twice. About the time he was getting less aromatic he was sprayed again. He's not so bad right now, unless he gets damp...
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:15 pm

Beautifully buggy!

Gooooaaaaalllllll !!!!
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com