Picric Irish Patterns

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

michaelgmcgraw

Re: Picric Irish Patterns

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:58 pm

Good looking flies Lawrence! I really like the Irish Dabblers, they are one of my go to early spring trout flies for high/off color streams.
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:58 am

willowhead wrote:They are absolutely beautiful.....i just thought you might like to know why the flies in the pics were facing left.
Willowhead, I am left-handed myself. I turn my flies round to be photographed so they are facing right - which can be a bit scary because it is not the side facing me when I am tying them! :D

I like the way Lawrence refuses to be influenced by the majority and makes a stand for left-handedness though... I seem to remember Hank on here once urging me to do the same, but i am too much of a conformist. ;)

Andrew.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:30 pm

Andrew,

And then there is Charlie Craven, one of the finest all-round tiers today, who is right-handed in the normal sense of the word yet chooses to tie like a lefty... :roll:

Cheers,
Hans W
lauriel

Post by lauriel » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:27 pm

Hi Mark
the radio show went great, they are looking into me doing a tv interview sometime later this year they want to filmme doing the wire patterns.The radion interviewer Gerry Kelly was in stitches trying to weave the flies that is why we did not tie oive on air as we knew we would end up laughing all the way through.
If you google http://www.lmfm.ie/music/podcasts.aspx, then go to Late Lunch Tying flies...Gerry indulges in his love of angling with fellow enthusiast Lawrence Finney, a professional flytier you can listen to the interview
Lawrence
lauriel

Post by lauriel » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:01 pm

here is another pattern i use for the sea trout a real killer,i fish it up stream into the head of a pool and it sinks like a stone

the peter ross nymph
silk guttaman black 8/0
hook kamasan b175 no 10
tail dyed red pheasant
body woven red and siler utc wire
thorax red pheasant with red holo tinsel over the back
legs red pheasant
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:05 pm

Hans Weilenmann wrote:Andrew,

And then there is Charlie Craven, one of the finest all-round tiers today, who is right-handed in the normal sense of the word yet chooses to tie like a lefty... :roll:

Cheers,
Hans W
Now that *is* weird. Usually, bit of a generalisation, but left handed people are usually better with their right hands than right handed people with their left, simply because we live in a right handed world, so lefties have to be. But to go the other way isn't one I've come across before...
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:44 pm

GlassJet, Howdy;

Ever heard of the Golfer Phil Mickelson???? Plays golf Lefty everything else righty...
jest sayin'...
hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin