Starling Bloa

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

GlassJet

Starling Bloa

Post by GlassJet » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:02 pm

Starling Bloa by GlassJet, on Flickr

Hook: Kamasan B401. Silk: Pearsall's yellow, waxed. Hackle: starling undercovert. Rib: fine silver wire. Dubbing: water rat substitute, twisted into split thread. Thread then wound in a spiral to form body, with the silver rib wound in between.

Important Note
If you look carefully, you will see that at rib wrap three, I have used the 'forced' technique to introduce a further degree of perpendicularity in order to break the monotony of the previous two wraps. I have used this technique again at wrap four. This is to reflect recent research into the retinal properties of trout, which has demonstrated a preference for a slight asymmetry in shiny metal objects when viewed against the yellow to olive colour spectrum, at depths of less than one metre. The evidence is not yet conclusive, but is surely worth a try. Every little scrap of science helps in this game. ;)

And just for you Otter, if you're reading... when am I going to fish this? Thursdays. ;) :lol:

Andrew.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
hankaye

Re: Starling Bloa

Post by hankaye » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:34 pm

GlassJet, Howdy;

Reckon that research just showes to go us that even Ma Nature ain't perfekt...

Good lookin fly.
hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:41 pm

Don't anyone go taking my spurious 'research' too literally - I just don't rate the academic reputation and record of the team that conducted it... ;) :lol:
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:47 pm

Mike wrote: Might work on Thursdays. Doubtless the retinal properties of trout with regard to shiny metal objects are more acute on Thursdays?

Excellent excuse for lousy ribbing by the way...............

TL
MC
:lol: I try to play to my strengths, Mike... ;)

Andrew.
Otter

Post by Otter » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:20 pm

GlassJet wrote:
And just for you Otter, if you're reading... when am I going to fish this? Thursdays. ;) :lol:

Andrew.
Andrew, like the unfortunate starling prior to his demise you are a free spirit and may choose whatever day you desire , except of course when in Scotland where they hang any Englishmen found fishing on the sabbath and the occasional thursday.

If you had asked me , I would say March and april to mid may, mon- sun, downsize and a lighter olive for mid may to end of july and if you then asked someone that knew something I am sure you would get a proper answer :D

Nice head , lousy ribbing, great excuse.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:48 pm

Otter wrote:If you had asked me , I would say March and april to mid may, mon- sun, downsize and a lighter olive for mid may to end of july and if you then asked someone that knew something I am sure you would get a proper answer :D
I was just going to take issue with the suggestion that this might be related to days of the week, when Otter came up with the observations about effectiveness related to different months. I would like to point out the retenal properties may show a "preference for a slight asymmetry in shiny metal objects when viewed against the yellow to olive colour spectrum, at depths of less than one metre." But this is comfounded when you examine the shift in retenal characteristics in colder months. In late fall and early spring the perpendicular forced rib method might be better used on only the fourth rib, and not the third. This really only applies to the darker olive tones...not the lighter olive tones the Otter mentioned. And I feel very strongly that below half a meter (metre) retenal properties as related to shiny objects are completely irrelevant. (emoticon...or not? not.)

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 pm

:lol: Very good!

Hey - you reckon we might start a meme here?
Otter

Post by Otter » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:22 pm

Intriguing may be the retinal values of your ribbing were we hoping for a rhectuminal hookup, for it is well known that the better trout have eyes in their ar.e

And Glassjet took the third rib of Olive Bloa and in its likeness he formed Eve Bloa and beheld them to the world.
The world marvelled at such splendid flies, and they multiplieth till fly boxes creaked from their weight and trout took sanctuary from their kind. But the sands of time emptied the boxes of their bloas for their DNA was much altered, and they were no more. But whisperings of these great flys became murmurs, murmurs became chants. Delving into the threads of history and the vague rememberances of old men a distant tier once again beheld the bloas to the world, and once again trout sought sanctuary.

Such is the cycle of our craft and our madness, would it be any other way !!!!!!!
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:50 pm

Andrew,
Very classic and classy.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:40 pm

Terrific fly Andrew. Beautifully tyed.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean