A couple Tenkara flies?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

A couple Tenkara flies?

Post by Old Hat » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:59 pm

A couple flies that I tied for a Tenkara swap. I wanted to learn a little about this style. I put a little research into the flies, as I don't have a Tenkara rod...yet :D. Anyway, I thought I would share as they are appropriate to a wingless wet forum. Those of you that fish traditional Tenkara flies, feel free to let me know if I'm off kilter too much on either fly. Most of what I found out was there are a few styles using soft or stiff hackle, some are facing forward, however most are to the rear as we tie a lot of our soft hackled flies. They tend to be a bit heavier hackled than most spiders or flymphs. I tried to show this in the flies. Really I don't see much difference from the spiders and flymphs other than the heavier hackle. I'm sure any fly on here would fish just fine on a Tenkara rod.

Thread: charteuse
Body: golden pheasant tail fibers
Hackle: furnace hen tied reverse

Thread: black
Tag: red embroidery yarn
Body: blue eared pheasant fibers
Hackle: honey dun
Antennae: tips of blue eared pheasant fibers

I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
CreationBear

Re: A couple Tenkara flies?

Post by CreationBear » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:23 pm

Those are very cool--I especially like the top one...it would be a killer pattern no doubt on my backcountry trout. :) At any rate, I've been intrigued by the fact that "traditional" sakasa kebari flies use hen ringneck pheasant a lot, which doesn't seem to factor into many of the "Western" recipes I've seen (except wing-slips made from the secondaries.)

Otherwise, run, don't walk to get yourself a Tenkara rod--fishing softhackles when you don't have to worry about conflicting currents is at times basically like using a seine. :)
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:45 pm

I don't know much about Tenkara, but those flies look super good.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:33 pm

Most ANY soft hackle, flymph or wet (unweighted basically) will work just fine with a Tenkara rod.......flip it out and let it do it's things..............do NOT complicate it............Tenkara is about simplicity..........KEEP IT SIMPLE! You wanna fish in the film and to maybe a foot down.....thass it. Think emergers........SIMPLE........thank you very much. ;)

been havin' major computer/network/etc. problems alllllllllllllll day, drivin' ne NUTZ! looks like we back in business now though..... :D
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:33 am

Those look really good to me, Carl. That top one is a better imitation of a cased caddis than just about anything I've seen.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:04 am

Oh, another question about Fly #1--are you tying off behind the hackle or at the eye as you would with a typical fly? I'm curious, because that built-up head makes for a great "aim-point."

And another question about materials: does your GP tail have quite a bit of "orange" in it? Perhaps it's just the warmth of your photo settings, but compared to yours my GP seems to be more "tan/blond." (And of course, I like yours better! :) )
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:43 am

Lovely flies, both. Really like the body and the lay of the hackle on the first one.
Must look into this Tenkara thing. Thanks for posting these.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:01 pm

I've also started playing around with these flies as well, but my first attempts weren't as nice as yours. I love the proportions on both of yours. Pleasing to look at...

I'm still trying to get accustomed to the reverse hackling methods, so I must keep practicing...
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
kacbo

Post by kacbo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:40 am

Beautiful flies!

Which hook (model and size) You used for second one?
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:49 am

Come to think of it.....that fly DOEs look like it'd work darn well during a Caddis hatch.....i dunno if anyone else sees it, but the head has a grennish tinge to it, (undoubtedly done on purpose), and that sure can't hurt. Thass some really great tyin' Carl. Very imaginative. ;)
btw, the pics are really cool.....great background. :)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com