A Take on Salar's Nemesis

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

A Take on Salar's Nemesis

Post by tie2fish » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:39 pm

This dressing represents my take, minus the optional jungle cock eye, of a salmon fly that Sylvester Nemes designed, fished, and subsequently described in his book "Six Weeks in Scotland". This book, which Dougsden graciously loaned to me, is a fun read that is more about the people, the land, the waters, the customs and the fishing history of Scotland than it is about fly tying. Very interesting and written in Nemes' always gracious stye. NOTE: This is my initial attempt to post a photo using Photobucket; many thanks to Ruard for guiding me through the process.

Hook: Daiichi 2421, #6
Working thread: Sheer 14/0, white
Hackle: Strung neck hackle, fl. orange
Tail: Golden pheasant tippet
Rib: Flat gold tinsel
Abdomen: Silk floss, orange
Thorax: Seal fur, tangerine, in dubbing loop
Head: Finishing thread

Last edited by tie2fish on Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Ruard

Re: A Take on Salar's Nemesis

Post by Ruard » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:01 pm

Glad you managed it tie2fish!!1

Beautiful fly also make me think of Perche!

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
garyk

Post by garyk » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:13 pm

Well done and well tied. I am sure steelhead would also be interested. You've got my wheels turning!!!!! Thankyou for posting.

Cheers,
Gary
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:44 pm

Fetching fly buddy! I am a big fan of Mr. Nemes's flies. I am sure he would be delighted with your version of his fly.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:47 am

Here's a pic of the inside (with fly), of our copy of the book. Same fly (he tyed), "with" the JC Nail..... ;) Your is GORGEOUS!
i bought the book from him at "Conclave" in Livingston, MT. in '02, the first time i went to tye at the event. We tyed upstairs in the high school gym, in area above the basketball court.....hot as hell up there. But he was crakin' jokes all day. My table was bout 3 tables from his, and i could hear him just fine. :lol: i spent a good hour at his table at one point watchin' him tye. Two years later i tyed at the same table with him all day.....he had me in stitches..... :D
Attachments
Syvester_Nemes_Fly_and_Signature[1].jpg
Syvester_Nemes_Fly_and_Signature[1].jpg (34.28 KiB) Viewed 2581 times
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:30 am

I'm :oops: -- as can plainly be seen from the shot of Willowhead's copy, the title of Mr. Nemes' book is Six Months In Scotland, not six Weeks. My bad ...
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:53 pm

Tie2fish,
Don't worry about the Six Weeks/Months thing. When I e-mailed you origonally about this subject, I mis-spelled Salars. Now, the fly! Wow! It is gorgeous. It looks better than I could have imagined! It is rock solid as is all of your work. I am really enjoying it. You have made me want to drop my current pattern work and break out the materials for this great looking pattern. You did an excellent job Tie2fish. You seem to be right at home with versatility in your tying!
Willowhead, very interesting pic. of the I/s cover of your copy. Never let that one go!
Has anyone had contact or heard from Syl Nemes lately. Grand fellow he is!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:39 pm

Dougsden, sorry to let you know, (but since you asked), he died on Feb. 3rd. :( We're holding a sawp (William Anderson meistering), in his honor. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com