More from Dougsden

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: More from Dougsden

Post by William Anderson » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:23 pm

Doug, I like you're style and seeing so many of your flies together like this (and the earlier pics) helps show what you're really trying to get at with your patterns. They are very compelling. thanks for sharing them.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:49 am

i like your tyin' style (eye), Dougsden :) .....t2f.....you pretty handy with that camera. :D
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:45 pm

As promised and prompted by my friends on this forum, here are the receipes for the five patterns that Bill (tie2fish) posted for me a while back. Thanks Bill for your wonderful efforts on my behalf! I really appreciate this!

#1 Dave Whitlocks Red Fox Squirrel Nymph
Hook: Either Dai-Riki #280 or TMC #2302 Size 8-14. These hooks, although from different
manufacturers, are similar. Both are 2x long dry-fly hooks and seem to work
perfectly for the look of the basic nymph of this series!
lead: Yes, in this particular fly, there is lead wire (.020 or slightly smaller - my preference -
than the hook wire diameter) making it a weighted nymph. However, you can certainly
make this fly a true wet fly, without lead weight, in keeping with the theme of this
forum. I have a generous mix of both weighted and unweighted (wet) patterns in my
box ready for whatever the situations brings!
Rib: Krystal Flash in Root Beer color. You can use an amazing array of colors and diff.
materials but this one seems to keep in line with the decidedly orange cast that the
finished fly takes on. This type of twisted ribbing seems to glow when the light hits
it in a certain way. Wait until you soak one or see it underwater. It's amazing!
Dubbings: I just want to come right out and say this about the two dubbings used in this
pattern. The best dubbings you can use are Dave Whitlock's SLF Red Fox Sq. Nymph
Abdomen. The other is D.W.'s SLF Thorax. I have found that the all time best
blends come from Feather-Craft. Why? They are the orangest (abdomen) and darkest
(thorax) and best blended furs for this pattern.
Hackle: I have garnered over the years quite a collection of India hen backs and some necks
for this pattern. The one I found to be the best is a decidedly orange (natural not
necc. died orange) color. If you want a contrasting hackle (like shown on the fly
above), use a darker well marked hackle. It's fun to experiment with different
colors!
Thread: Danvilles 6/0 waxed orange or black. Uni-thread 8/0 should be used on the smaller
patterns.
Tail: Natural Fox Sq. hair from the back. I should be well markded or barred. Sometimes,
I use dark partridge fibers as a soft and pliable substitute.
Tag: About six wraps down and back under the tail of Krystal flash Root Beer.
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:00 pm

#2 Green Beasty Flymph

Hook: TMC #3761 sizes 10-16. Nothing beats the grace and beauty of the 3761!
Thread: Danvilles Black 6/0 waxed
Tail: A few furnace fibers, the fewer the better!
Dubbing: Krystal Dub Olive Brown or Ice Dub Olive
Hackle: Well marked (as much brown on the feather as possible with just a little of the black
"list" showing) furnace hen.

This pattern has been a real thriller for me thru the years esp. in the gloaming of the evening and even after dark.
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:20 pm

#3 Dress Gray

Hook: Mustad #94842 up eye dry-fly or it's modern equivilant R50U size 10-14
Thread: Medium gray Danvilles 6/0 unwaxed (if you have it, use it. If not, waxed will do)
Tail: A few fibers from the feathers of the hen hackle listed below. These I like cocked upward slightly by placing a turn or two of thread under the base of the tail fibers.
Dubbing: A medium gray or slightly slate gray fur dubbing, your choice!
Hackle: From the neck of a beautiful hen skin that my pal Bill (tie2fish) gathered up for me at a recent show that he attended. It's from Collins Hackle Farms and is called Barred Bronze Dun. A light dun or silvery gray hen hackle would do just fine in a pinch. The hackling procedure is best described in Dave Whitlocks book "Wet Flies" where the front 1/3 or so of the hook shank is covered with the feather giving it more "kick" or liveliness in the water!
And, it looks really cool too!

It's getting late. I'll do the other two tomorrow night. Meanwhile, enjoy!

Dougsden
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:20 pm

Dougsden, Howdy;

Great job on the recipes, ... 3 posted and two to go.....
I' don't think I'm the only one waiting ....... ;)

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:57 am

Great job, Doug.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
John Dunn

Post by John Dunn » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:14 pm

Ah Doug you have been holding out on me :lol: I have no.2 and no.5, maybe I should put them in a glass case :P
Doug also has a wonderful Tup"s pattern as well as others. Wonderful patterns and and pretty tying , as always Doug great job.

Best Regards
John Dunn
"The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still able." - Sparse Grey Hackle
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:16 pm

Hi Doug,

Good job man!! Just two to go!!

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:42 pm

All right you bunch of monkeys.....after spending the day outside (by the way, the ice is now gone) doing yard stuff, I realized that I need to do two more receipes for the patterns Bill posted for me. Forgive me everyone for my slowness in getting these out to you. My slowness is eclipsed only by my speed at the vice which is getting slower and slower....
Here they are:

#4 Tan and Honey

Hook: Mustads popular #94842 up eye dryfly hook or their R50U in sizes 10-14
Thread: Danvilles 6/0 Brown? I'm sorry, I can't readily identify the proper name.
Tail: None on this one but you can add one if you like!
Dubbing: Borden's Hare-Tron #1 Light Cahill (a very evenly colored tan dubbing with just the right amount of antron in the mix to make it wonderfully bright!)
Hackle: A darker saddle feather from a beautiful set purchased for me by Bill (tie2fish) at a recent conclave. It's called Ginger Dun and It's remarkable. Thanks Bill! The saddle feathers are obviously webbier and thicker looking than neck feathers but this is the effect that I wanted and It looks pretty cool...I think!

Enjoy! #5 coming soon!