Llama Hair Bodies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Llama Hair Bodies

Post by William Anderson » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:44 pm

So I figured a way to use the llama "dubbing" that I found. It's packaged as dubbing, but getting the stuff to behave itself in a dubbing loop just wasn't cutting it. Unrulely would be fine, but this was some special kind of gnarly. I ended up pulling the lengths out and forming a loose yarn with the hairier and dubbier fibers mixed. I tied it in at the bend and wound it to the head. No reinforcement necessary as many of the fibers twisted in the blend are about the size and strength of horse tail. This wasn't fool proof, but successful enough to tie up a couple batches of these two. For all the hastle in getting the bodies to cooperate, when they are in the box, you can hardly pick them out from the bustard and turkey herl bodies at a glance. They are kind of cool in the pics though.

These are both vintage Mustad hooks that I found on ebay. The first is a 38932 in a size 12. The second is a 3911C #16. (for anyone who cares about that kind of thing, or wondered what was up with those terrifying barbs. Yikes.)

All these posts lately have been great to see. This board is really great, even right in the middle of the season. Cheers.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
CreationBear

Re: Llama Hair Bodies

Post by CreationBear » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:03 pm

Wonderful variegation in those flies: I especially like the second, though I agree the barb on that hook is a little Queequeg-esque... :)
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:46 pm

Great flies.........Great tyin'.......way cool hooks..... :D Course i take it you'd smash those barbs before fishing with them. ;) Glad you left them for the pics. 8-)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:00 pm

CB, in the interest of historic background, this gentleman worked in the design dept from 1935-1941.

WH, thanks, I bent down a couple and just plain broke a couple. These are strong enough, but a little brittle.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:04 pm

Looks more like a Holy Water salesmen to me......... :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

Think i'll go make another Brisket sandwich..... ;)

willowhead

Post by willowhead » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:52 pm

William, call the CFFC&M and ask them to send you a copy of the Lee Wulff Cassett (if they still have 'em :? ).........it's Lee just tellin' stories......reading stories.......and on is all about a Mr. Conegate, the One Eyed Poacher and Spear Fisherman..........it's a cool story...........my tape is so worn out, i hardly ever play it anymore, but i still keep it in the fishin' truck and listen to it every once in a while. ;) 845-439-4810 flyfish@catskill.net

hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:32 pm

dub-ya, Howdy;

Llama, Llama ... them and the little ones what are they called...? Alpacky's?? Like the sweaters???
They are quite a few 'ranchers that don't do commercial (all white), Turkey (this valley is the Home of Norbest), that do sheep
(rahamalays (sp.?)), think read somewhere that the Sanpete Valley was once home to the largest herd of them in the country.
I'm findin' out alot of stuff about this place. I met a guy that claims to be one of a few wool buyers around here while I was being 'walked' by Rascal
a day or two ago.
Saw which Lane he went down... think I'll check him out shortly... See if I can talk him out of some 'samples'... ;)

I'll let ya'll know what I find... :D

hank

PS. Our season hasn't really started yet...Snowbird (ski resort), said today that they'll be open till 4th of July... Snow levels are still at mid-season depth = 10' :shock:
Great Salt has had a Historic rise of 4' so far and the run-off is only beginning.... :( :o :shock:
Last edited by hankaye on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:35 pm

William - I think you have found the perfect cased caddis dubbing. I suggest tying a couple with plump bodies, partridge hackle and green silk. Beautiful flies, btw.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:51 pm

Hank: El Paca is what you thinking of. I have a bit of cream and also tan fur floating around somewhere. Good wool substitute, in fact they make jerseys, hats etc out if it. Quite a few in NZ.

And the sheep name? Romney most likely :)
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:52 pm

Ray, I thought the same thing once I saw the pic, but not before. I'll definitely do that. Stay tuned.

w
www.WilliamsFavorite.com