Copper Muskrat (Tutorial / SBS)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

kanutripr

Copper Muskrat (Tutorial / SBS)

Post by kanutripr » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:35 am

So I received this little pack of muskrat in the mail (thanks Ray) and immediately had to tie up this little soft hackle just to try it out.

hook - Gamakatsu S12S-1F size 16 (compliments of Mark R, love the straight eyes)
Thread - Uni rust brown 8/0
hackle - small jungle cock feather (again Mark R)
rib and thorax - dubbing loop with muskrat (thanks Ray)
body - copper Uni tinsel

I attached the hackle, took the thread down the body and formed a loop at the tail that would later become the dubbing loop, tied in the tinsel, thread back up behind the hackle, wrapped the tinsel, added the muskrat to the loop, wrapped that as a rib up to the thorax area. When I got to the thorax with the loop I just added extra wraps close together to form the thorax, wrapped the hackle winding the thread through the hackle to secure it and then whip finished (double three turn whip since I never cement small fishing flies).

The picture isn't that great, not to mention I haven't tied any small flies in a couple of months but I had to give this a go. Now for some of Dubbn's muskrat flies. :D

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
tie2fish

Re: Copper Muskrat

Post by tie2fish » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:53 am

A very nice blend of materials with excellent proportions, Vicki; it looks as though it will be "just right" when it gets wet. No one would guess that you haven't been tying small soft hackles on a regular basis lately.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:37 pm

it looks as though it will be "just right" when it gets wet.
+1... :) I'll definitely be interested in how the rib-over-tinsel works after a few fish and whether or not the rib will stay seated or slip over the slick tinsel body. A killer fly in all regards, no doubt.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:11 pm

That fly is SWEET! Interesting step by step process.....very interesting. i love the color combination. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:27 pm

Vicki - great color combination. Those guard hairs make nice tailing material too. Have fun!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:07 pm

Vicki, Howdy;

Yea like the sbs.. Gives me more understanding of how ya got it to where it is..

thanks;

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:01 am

Great fly Vicki! I can use that pattern any where in the water colomn! Excellent tie!
kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:41 am

Thanks people. :D

CB I don't know how the rib will hold up. I never catch trout big enough to destroy a fly! :lol: Actually most of the trout I fish for are in the 4-14 inch range so they are still babies. Or maybe it's just my amazing tying skills, Yeah, that's it. ;) There isn't a huge amount of the rib that's not supported and the thorax area has the added bonus of being wrapped through with the hackle and then THAT wrapped through with the thread so it should take a bit of a beating. If the rib should be cut by the teeth the thorax should hold up and still be fishable. I'll try it and let you know.

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:21 am

Actually most of the trout I fish for are in the 4-14 inch range so they are still babies.
Ha...I'm very happy to catch a "foot-long" wild trout on my acidic freestoners... Thanks for the reply--again, it's a pattern that's really caught my eye. :)
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:42 pm

Vicki, that's a great process for the dubbing and hackle. It looks great and I can imagine it would be very effective in lots of situations. The tinsel works nicely on this pattern and I'm looking forward to a report.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com