Four Tenkara Flies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: Four Tenkara Flies

Post by William Anderson » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:28 pm

Donald, this is a wonderful post. Thanks for all the helpful information. Enough in fact to make me consider getting out the tying station and take that step off the Tenkara ledge. Not yet, I'm young. There's time for that. These are wonderful combinations. Really nicely done.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:43 pm

Ladies and Gents,
If I could be a Tenkara boob instead of a Tenkara bum.....with the hackle swept forward over the eye, does it gently sweep back over the body (toward the bend of the hook) during a dunking in your favorite moving waters? I understand that the method of fishing these beauties is rather close with not much more that the leader on the water most of the time. A quiet, stealthy approach. I like that!
Donald, your patterns are stunning and like most who have responded, there is something about that first pattern!
Your pal on the learning curve of life,
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:17 pm

William, good to hear you in good spirits. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
MuddlerDaddy

Post by MuddlerDaddy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:54 pm

Hey Don,
How long did it take you to adapt to the Tenkara Rod - any major problems at first? Is the Tenkara what you use most now?
What is it you like best about the Tenkara?

Rick
"Some men would rather be photographed with their fish than with their wives." Gwen Cooper and Evelyn Haas
MuddlerDaddy

Post by MuddlerDaddy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:55 pm

MuddlerDaddy wrote:Hey Don,
How long did it take you to adapt to the Tenkara Rod - any major problems at first? Is the Tenkara what you use most now?
What is it you like best about the Tenkara?
Rick
I forgot to mention - very cool flies indeed !! :D

Rick
"Some men would rather be photographed with their fish than with their wives." Gwen Cooper and Evelyn Haas
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:49 pm

Simply awesome flies...loved them.
CM_Stewart

Post by CM_Stewart » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:12 am

DOUGSDEN wrote:Ladies and Gents,
If I could be a Tenkara boob instead of a Tenkara bum.....with the hackle swept forward over the eye, does it gently sweep back over the body (toward the bend of the hook) during a dunking in your favorite moving waters? I understand that the method of fishing these beauties is rather close with not much more that the leader on the water most of the time. A quiet, stealthy approach. I like that!
Donald, your patterns are stunning and like most who have responded, there is something about that first pattern!
Your pal on the learning curve of life,
Dougsden

The hackle does not sweep back over the body. As you gently pulse the fly, the hackle goes from slanting forward to extending straight out, then returns to slanting forward. If you can imagine what a film of a swimming jellyfish would look like if you ran the film backwards, that's about how they look in the water. Now why a trout would want to eat a jellyfish doing the backstroke I can't explain, but for some reason they do. And sometimes they'll chase it down and just nail it.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:43 am

Chris.....be watching both your snail & email.......when it arrives.....get it back in asap. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com