Another Soft Hackle !!

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Mike Connor

Re: Another Soft Hackle !!

Post by Mike Connor » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:43 pm

MuddlerDaddy wrote: One thing for sure Mike, I never thought of it being negative criticism. I want you or anyone else to point things out to me. I consider your criticism as being very helpful and really appreciate it!

Rick
Good, just making sure there is no problem with it. Easy for misunderstandings to arise.

TL
MC
North Country Angler

Post by North Country Angler » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:57 pm

Muddler,
If you want to achieve a neater head to your fly, there are several tricks you can use.

1) Trap in your hackle by it tips first, with the tips laying back down the hook shank. Then take your silk down the shank and back up to form your body. Bring your silk in front of your hackle! Wrap your hackle, as many turns as you think is right. Then trap down the hackle.
Using this method you have taken away the bulk of the feather tip from the head of the fly.
2) Catch in you thread just slightly back from the eye of the hook, about the width of two thread wraps. When you then wrap your hackle make sure it doesn’t encroach in to the gap you have left. That way when you are forming your head you have kept any initial bulk to a minimum. You can also untwist the silk just before whip finishing which will flatten the thread and make it less bulky. Keep the whip finish to a minimum as you only need one good whip finish to do the job.
MuddlerDaddy

Post by MuddlerDaddy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:50 am

North Country Angler wrote: If you want to achieve a neater head to your fly, there are several tricks you can use.
Thanks for the help, I will give it a try !! :)

MD
"Some men would rather be photographed with their fish than with their wives." Gwen Cooper and Evelyn Haas
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:29 pm

I don't have anything to add, except my admiration of your well tyed fly. Beautiful work on the body and hackle. I don't mind the head at all (very well formed). Pearsalls seems a bit course when you first start tying with it, but you will get it dialed in after a couple dozen flies.

Beautiful camera work as well. You can't hide a thing with a photo that sharp. Kudos!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
MuddlerDaddy

Post by MuddlerDaddy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:27 pm

Thank you Ray for your nice comment - appreciate it ! :)

Rick
"Some men would rather be photographed with their fish than with their wives." Gwen Cooper and Evelyn Haas
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:32 pm

MD,
Dang! That looks really nice! Were you able to produce a half doz. or even a doz. that all looked as good as this one? Practice, practice, practice.... It really is a gem and wait until you toss it out to your favorite local trouts or panfishes! Lookout!!
Great job and isn't it alot of fun?
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.