Another Soft Hackle !!

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

MuddlerDaddy

Another Soft Hackle !!

Post by MuddlerDaddy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:33 am

Well Guys,
Heres another one !! Got that head thing goin again but not quite as bad :oops: - All comments welcome !!

"Some men would rather be photographed with their fish than with their wives." Gwen Cooper and Evelyn Haas
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Re: Another Soft Hackle !!

Post by Soft-hackle » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:39 am

Nicely done! I do not think you will have any problems catching fish with this.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Mike Connor

Post by Mike Connor » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:57 am

Looking good. The "large" head is not a problem, just a matter of personal taste really. Plenty of insects also have big heads. The somewhat uneven appearance of the body is caused by not spinning your bobbin to control the "tightness" of your silk. As you wind silk on it either tightens or loosens the thread twist. For a more consistent appearance of the wraps, spin the bobbin so that the silk has the same twist.

This probably makes little if any difference to the fish, but who knows? :)

TL
MC
Mike Connor

Post by Mike Connor » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:18 am

By "uneven" is meant the appearance of segmentation at the rear, which then fades away as the thread tightens or loosens towards the front of the body. This can also work in reverse, depends on the direction of thread twist and which way you wrap it. This only happens when using a bobbin holder. Each wrap with the bobbin holder gives one whole twist to the thread. Uneven tension can also have similar effects.

TL
MC
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:12 pm

Nice MD..... ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
MuddlerDaddy

Post by MuddlerDaddy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:17 pm

Mike Connor wrote: The somewhat uneven appearance of the body is caused by not spinning your bobbin to control the "tightness" of your silk.
TL
MC
I appreciate you pointing that out - you have a good eye for detail !!

Thank you Soft-hackle and Willowhead for your comments !!

MD
"Some men would rather be photographed with their fish than with their wives." Gwen Cooper and Evelyn Haas
Mike Connor

Post by Mike Connor » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:28 pm

MuddlerDaddy wrote:
Mike Connor wrote: The somewhat uneven appearance of the body is caused by not spinning your bobbin to control the "tightness" of your silk.
TL
MC

MD
As already noted, macro photos show up all sorts of things that one would otherwise probably never notice. Many things like this are also probably quite irrelevant as far as fishing goes. The problem with the bobbin holder wraps is exacerbated when one uses a very short length of thread outside the bobbin holder spigot, ( which is otherwise advantageous in regard to precision control and speed). Fifteen wraps puts fifteen additional twists into the thread. On a short piece of thread this can tighten the thread up, ( or loosen it), in an extreme fashion. Also, if you are dressing other flies, perhaps with wings etc, where you want to use a "pinch loop" technique, if you don't spin the bobbin holder to relieve that tension, or maybe to "flatten" ( Untwist), the thread then it will curl up and twist as soon as you let the loop go. It will also often prevent the thread and material from seating down properly where you want it. So in this case it is not just a matter of appearance.

Please don't take any of this as "negative" criticism. I only offered the comments because you asked. Normally I don't comment on other people's work.

TL
MC
kacbo

Post by kacbo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:38 pm

This fly needs only running water, preferably cold one. :)
MuddlerDaddy

Post by MuddlerDaddy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:40 pm

Mike Connor wrote:
MuddlerDaddy wrote:
TL
MC

MD
Please don't take any of this as "negative" criticism. I only offered the comments because you asked. Normally I don't comment on other people's work.
TL
MC
One thing for sure Mike, I never thought of it being negative criticism. I want you or anyone else to point things out to me. I consider your criticism as being very helpful and really appreciate it!

Rick
MuddlerDaddy

Post by MuddlerDaddy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:42 pm

kacbo wrote:This fly needs only running water, preferably cold one. :)
You bet sir - Thank You !!

MD