Sharpie Dressed Caddis

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

kanutripr

Re: Sharpie Dressed Caddis

Post by kanutripr » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:18 am

:shock:

Seriously....you guys are killing me! :roll:

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:13 am

Wayne - You've done it again...Outstanding! The use of ostrich herl for the thorax is inspired. That little change should give the fly a lot more movement/life, which can make all the difference in a fishing fly. Brilliant. I also love your variations in thread color (light cahill and olive) under the clear D-rib material. You could easily adjust a pattern for a local hatch, simply by adjusting the tying thread.

I really enjoy these posts, on many levels. It is nice to be able to tye again. I hadn't thought about it during my trip much, but once I was home, I just had to pick up my scissors and start playing.

Ariel - I love your idea of carrying around a couple Sharpies for field modifications. Very cool! If you have an art supply store nearby, you may want to look at some Prismacolor marker sets. They come in a dizzying array of colors (at least 156 colors). That being said, I have done fine with the choices of colors offered by Sharpie. One of my favorite colors is the Marigold Sharpie.

Martin - The photos are just lucky chance. I originally planned to use the plain blue background, but the colors of the hackle and body of the fly got washed out with that background. I then decided to try some with only my desk as the background. I lowered my camera (tripod) until I had a dark background to contrast with the fly. I then opened the lens aperture as far as it would go (f/2.8) and set the ISO to 200 and turned off the flash. The exposure was captured using a ten second time delayed shutter release (hands off the camera to prevent movement during the shot). The camera chose a shutter speed of 1/25th of a second, based on the available light. Once I downloaded the images to my computer, I noticed the shaded gradient of the background and how well it complimented the fly. It would be very difficult to get the right combination of light, camera angle, settings to duplicate the effect. In reality, I just got lucky. :D :lol:
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:38 am

Killer fly. I like the imagination here.
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:57 am

What beautiful flies.
The contrast of colors used in all of them really goes well together.
Amazing!
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:46 pm

willowhead wrote:Ariel.....Sharpies come in quite a few colors................."enough".....well, i spose there's no such thing. :D
Bic Mark.its work just aswell as Sharpies for me.
DNicolson

Post by DNicolson » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:03 pm

A superb collection, do you use protect the marker colours on the fly bodies somehow?
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:51 pm

Donald - I did not use anything to protect the color after tying the fly. I have not yet fished with these flies, so I can not speak to the durability of the color. The body material readily accepts the ink from the pen, so I think it will work well when fishing. I will report back, once I get a chance to fish these.

hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:56 pm

Howdy All;

Watching Ray and DUBBIN get into these wee tying 'one-ups' or match the other's hatch
is sort of reminding me of the Front porch scene from "Deliverance" dueling fly vices. :shock: :o :D

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:01 pm

(chuckle)

Should I be worried?

DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:11 pm

hankaye wrote:Howdy All;

Watching Ray and DUBBIN get into these wee tying 'one-ups' or match the other's hatch
is sort of reminding me of the Front porch scene from "Deliverance" dueling fly vices. :shock: :o :D

hank
It's not dueling, it's called me learning. Thats the truth.