Variations On A Theme (more caddis variations)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

willowhead

Re: Variations On A Theme (more caddis variations)

Post by willowhead » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:05 pm

Hey guys.....Jon.....sounds like you understand that when your in the river/stream, same as a Jazz club, your in church. Real Deal church.....no funny business church.....thank you very much..... ;)
Ray, that rod sounds perfect.....i have a 7 ft. 4 wt. i've used up on Fir Brook many times.....it's very nice. It's one of the ones Joan Stolier left to us. She actualy left us 13 rods.....i gave 9 of those away to different people over a few years period of time. i have 2 or three on the wall now, and just the one we still use. Two others (of the 9 i gave away), i kinna wish i still had.....both were glass.....but that's ok. One was a white Wonder Rod, and a lengendary angler got that one.....guy named Les Young. Les was on our team a couple years ago in Colorado for the America Cup. And the other was a really cool old Fennwick. A friend in Washington state got that one. Same guy (Steve Zweber), who rowed us down the Yakimaw River outta Ellensburg, WA. in '09. Actually he got my 5 sided Uslan boo rod too..... :lol: What was i thinking..... :oops: ..... :D.....oh, and a copy of Rare & Unusual vol. 2. :P i happened to have an extra..... 8-) Come to think of it.....i had two extra copies.....a boo builder friend-a-mine got that third copy.....straight swap for a 5 ft. boo rod he made for me.....i'm bringin' that to Roscoe in May.....you'll see it..... ;)
"Rough Out Here." :twisted:
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
tie2fish

Sulky Green Caddis Pupa (SBS / Tutorial)

Post by tie2fish » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:09 am

Here's hoping my hopping on the bandwagon at this late date doesn't overload it ...

Sulky Green Caddis Pupa

Hook: Daiichi 1120, #14
Threads: Underbody ~ Sulky Sliver Metallic Thread, #8001, silver; Finishing ~ Sheer 14/0, black
Hackle: Partridge, dyed olive
Body: Chartreuse midge tubing with strand of peacock Krystal Flash threaded inside
Thorax: Peacock eyestick herl

Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:28 am

Bill - I'm so impressed by this fly, I'm speechless. I sat here for a few minutes trying to find the right words. These are a few phrases that came to mind "Impeccable"..."Inspirational"..."Inventive"..."Increadible"... Needless to say, I am very impressed.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:13 pm

Bill - Is there any chance you could do a tutorial on this fly? I'd love to see a few of the techniques (how you get the flash into the tubing, what the body looks like under the tubing, what the hackle looks like before it is wrapped). I think there is a lot to be learned from this fly...
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:43 pm

I'll do my best, Ray. (This ought to be an adventure ;) ).
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:49 pm

WOW! HOLY MOLY!!!!! that don't fool a fish...........take up golf. :D
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:00 pm

My word Bill. i too am speechless. Just when I think I have seen it all, another technique crops up from you. I looked at that pattern and thought to myself. If there was one pattern I could take with me to the afterlife, I am pretty sure that one would be it. VERY VERY well done sir!

The only negative I can see it that pattern is..........Kinda makes my patterns look a tad anemic. ;)
Great fly sir!
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:16 pm

Ha...this one brought a smile to my face--definitely looking forward to the tutorial, if for no other reason than I resemble the character in the Eudora Welty story, Edna Earle, who "could sit and ponder all day on how the little tail of the 'c' got through the 'I' in a Coca-Cola sign." :lol:
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:56 pm

I'm so glad I got to a computer today. This is really beautifully done. Every step a crystal clear decision. Great pattern. SBS...sweet. Looking forward to it.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:34 pm

I am truly humbled by the reactions to this fly by fellow tyers whose work I admire so much; thank you all. I'll attempt to create a rough step-by-step for this pattern, hoping that I'll be able to get the photos in the proper locations and that the non-shadowbox quality of the pictures doesn't detract too much from the impact of the effort ...

Sulky Green Caddis
Hook: Daiichi 1120, #14
Threads: Underbody - Sulky Sliver Metallic Thread, #8001, silver; Finishing - Sheer 14/0, black
Body: Chartreuse midge tubing with a strand of peacock colored Krystal Flash threaded inside
Hackle: Partridge dyed olive
Thorax: Peacock eyestick herl

The two following photos are of the Sulky Sliver Metallic Thread used for the underbody of the fly. This material, which I found at a sewing and crafts chain store, is manufactured as embroidery machine thread, and is quite strong for its size. I transferred a quantity of it onto an old Pearsalls bobbin so I could use an existing holder.

The next two photos show the strand of Krystal Flash being inserted into the hollow center of the midge tubing. The little clip is strictly for holding the materials for the camera and is not part of the threading process, which I do simply by holding the tubing in one hand and the Krystal Flash in the other hand. It happens that the hole in the center of the Hareline Dubbin brand of midge tubing is just large enough to accept the Krystal Flash, and once you get it started (like threading a needle), it pushes through easily. Please note that I cannot take credit for originating this technique, as I saw it in a magazine someplace two or three years ago, and an acquaintance of mine has used it with a lot of success on small nymph patterns.

Start the Sulky thread on the hook in the thorax area; this material is quite slippery, so I wax the end a little to help hold it in place. Tie in one end of the midge tubing in the thorax area, with the Krystal Flash protruding beyond the end.

Holding the tubing in your left hand, pull it straight back beyond the hook and then wrap the Sulky thread back over it down about half way around the bend. After the first two or three wraps, pull firmly on the tubing so it stretches out, minimizing its diameter as you bind it to the hook. Then wrap the Sulky thread back up the hook to the thorax area.

Start your finishing thread behind the hook eye and wind back, catching up and securely tying off both the Sulky thread and the protruding Krysrtal Flash, both of which can then be snipped off. I discovered the importance of binding down the Krystal Flash in this manner when I once inadvertantly pulled it out of the tubing while wrapping the body forward.

Tie in the hackle feather by the tip, concave side up with the stem protruding out over the hook eye.

At this point, I lost a photo somewhere, so I'll just have to tell you that the next step involves wrapping the body forward and tying it off. Stretch the tubing quite a bit for the first wrap or two, and then gradually use less tension as you proceed up the hook. This will make each wrap a little larger in diameter than the one before it, imparting a tapered look to the body.
After securely tying off the body tubing and clipping off the excess, tie in a couple of peacock herls and build the thorax before bringing the thread up to make a couple of wraps behind the eye in front of the hackle.

After trimming away the excess herl, wrap the hackle (one turn in this case), build a small head, and whip finish.