Ke-He Squirrel Flymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Re: Ke-He Squirrel Flymph

Post by Old Hat » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:02 pm

fflutterffly wrote:I'm beginning to believe there are no more original patterns. This is not to say the Ke-he isn't your original patten, but I've tied something very similar (recently) thinking it was an AH Ha moment. It's a red fox squirrel with a hot orange spot of Antron instead of the z-lon. OR we an think of it like this: Great minds think alike. Now I just have to think of a great mind to ask. As soon as my camera battery arrives I'll shoot a photo of it. And by the way... it's a killer fly idea you had and I stoled. olol Catches fish like a net on a stick.
No doubt (would love to see a pic), I come across very few patterns that I haven't seen or tried a similar one. There are thousands of combinations of materials out there, but they aren't limitless, and there is really only so much you can do with a hook especially under the parameters of a wingless wet. I don't know if I've ever came up with a pattern that I would be comfortable fulling taking credit for. I'm willing to bet throughout history there has been a multitude of events of one fisherman "introducing a fly pattern" and receiving credit for it when in actuality it has been in someone else's box for a long time.

I like to look to classic patterns for inspiration. I enjoy thoroughly tying the classics as they are described, but 95% of them were not tied for my waters and need a little adjustment. Fly style doesn't impede me either, steelhead, salmon, warmwater, lake, dry, winged, nymph...you name it. I'll look at what I find an interesting trigger in a certain pattern and try to morph it into a wingless wet. I have lived where I am now for only 6 years and just this year I really started to get a handle in settling on patterns that seem to stand out locally for whatever reason. This pattern started out as a steelhead pattern, like I mentioned earlier, and came about as I was surfing the web looking at wet flies with a subtle hot spot trigger that I could tie bigger for our trouty steelhead.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:04 pm

Roadkill wrote:Nice tie Carl. :) See you in Albany!
Great! Looking forward to it.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:26 pm

That fly just looks like it ought to attact fish, Carl. Original or not, your choice of colors and materials make for a "gotta have" pattern.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:54 pm

Old Hat, I like the name, and LOVE that fly. I am gonna have to make some of them for sure.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:24 pm

I just love flame flies and this one is as good as they get. Marvellous!

dd
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:32 am

Old Hat wrote:I posted an older picture of this fly in the other "favorite fly post". I tied up some more, so here is a better picture.
I named it the Ke-He Squirrel Flymph. Kelly thought it should have a name. :D I have not found water yet that this fly won't catch fish from. It may not always be the best fly for the situation but is almost always the first fly I tie on.

Hook: #10 to #16
Thread: brown
Tail: Golden pheasant tippets with orange z-lon, antron, wool tuft
Rib: fine silver braid or wire on larger patterns
Body: dark brown squirrel dubbing.
Hackle: well mottled dark partridge

I just can't forget this fly. I wonder if somebody could suggest a good alternative to that orange z-lon tail that isn't a solid colour. I want to tie this fly and the Treacle Parkin using a rich non-solid orange yarn/wool but have no source.

dd
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:44 am

Carl, what method did you use to apply the squirrel dubbing to this pattern? I struggle with squirrel when I try to use it in a noodle, thus I tend to avoid it. Your pattern is very precise. I dont think I have the skill to use squirrel the way you do. Very impressive sir.
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:55 pm

I love this pattern too, and haven't gotten around to it yet.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:38 pm

daringduffer wrote:I just can't forget this fly. I wonder if somebody could suggest a good alternative to that orange z-lon tail that isn't a solid colour. I want to tie this fly and the Treacle Parkin using a rich non-solid orange yarn/wool but have no source.

dd
If I am understanding your question correctly, and I doubt I am, maybe this will help.....

Attatch a piece of Zelon to you vise (rotary really helps)

Twist the Zelon like you are making cord (I hold the other end with hackle pliers)

With a Sharpie Marker make a straight fast line along the top of the Zelon. If you hesitate the marker will turn the Zelon the color of the marker.

This is the result

This method should work for wool aswell. You will just have to figure out how fast to strike the line and how much pressure to apply.

Works well for Rubber legs on Hopper patterns and rubber legged nymphs.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:55 am

DD, I would look at a mix of mohair yarn for a substitution. It is very durable and usually has a nice sheen to it. You will probably need to mix your own to get what you want. I am not at home now (tying at a show this weekend) but will see what I have at home when I get back.

For dubbing the squirrel or other difficult dubbing I have a little technic that might help. I start by making a dubbing noodle the standard way. Wax the thread and just pitch and twist on. It's ok if it looks bad. Then I place my dubbing spinner on the thread below the noodle and fold it up to create a dubbing loop, then spin tightly. Usually I will try to pinch a tight noodle near the hook and then make it messy the further I work down the thread. This gives a nicer tapered profile.