Some flies tied by Emyr Lewis a Welsh Ghillie

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

fly_fischa

Re: Some flies tied by Emyr Lewis a Welsh Ghillie

Post by fly_fischa » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:07 am

Thanks guys :D
I'm glad you like Emyr's flies, I think they're exquisite. I love the fact that some of them have still got tippet and a knot attached to the fly, so I know not only has he tied them but he's probably caught a few fish on them too. I'm going to keep them in that state so I know which ones he's used, they're the ultra special ones. He was a cool Cat Mark, one of the nicest people I've got to spend time with on the water. I look forward to seeing your flies mate.

In regards to the names of flies I'll add them in a couple of days when I have access to my welsh fly books. Some of them are classic ties others are his own little variations, as Bill calls them 'Guide Flies'.

A bit more about the man behind the ties. He has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the craft, evident by his masterful ties and fly boxes. Emyr used to be the head of fisheries in Wales and Captained the Welsh fishing team more than a few times I suspect.

K
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:28 am

Dang, no kiddin'.....i wonder if Misako knows this guy. i'll ask her, and let you know. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:10 pm

i figured out why Vicki likes the ones she says she does..........they're HOT Spots :D ..... :lol: .....she's gotta "Thing" for Hot Spots :P ok Vicki, i'll do you a couple of my Hot Spot Swap flies and give 'em to you in Roscoe. ;)

willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:49 pm

OK, here's the first of the two flies that THIS thread sent me to the vise to do........ya gotta just love it when things like that happen. "No Choice" siutations.....aint nothin' like it. ;)
Misa did a great job on this fly (taken the pics).....there's a third shot which actually shows the fly very well in a very nice light, but i just can't afford to use that many "spaces" on one fly.....the D.A. in front of the title of the fly (pic) just refers to "Differnet Angle".....it's the same fly. Fly only has one coat of water based head cement. 8-) .....click the pics if ya like.....
Attachments
Welsh Inspired Mayfly.jpg
Welsh Inspired Mayfly.jpg (66.56 KiB) Viewed 1641 times
D.A. Welsh Inspired Mayfly.jpg
D.A. Welsh Inspired Mayfly.jpg (76.64 KiB) Viewed 1640 times

willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:25 pm

Here's the other one......with the twisted body and thorax. Both flies were tyed fairly fast and for fishin'.....so the heads leave a bit to be desired.....which is someting i don't much worry bout on a fishin' fly. If you spent as much time frettin' over heads as i do on my other flies........well............. :lol:
Kars, these flies are yours and will be sent with the hooks..........thankx for the inspiration. ;)
again, i'm only posting 2 of the 3 pics Misako took..... 8-)
Oh! & btw.....for those who have never heard of this, or thought of this, or whatever.........i have a thing i do, when i wrap hackle for a fishin' fly. Whenever i get to the point where all the fibers have been wraped, and it's basicaly time to tye off (and of course you don't "Always" run out of fibers "before" you decide to tye off.....duh!.....but when you can, and i always plan to), IF your bare stem (Rachis) is still thin enough, and flexable enough, i always take one more entire turn (360 degrees) of bare stem directly in front of the fibers to reinforce the hackle and make the collar more durable. The fish don't give a flyin' **** and although you will see the rachis, that can be colored or wraped over with the thread, or just left showing.....it makes no difference to the fish. i did it with boff these flies. :D
Attachments
Twist & Shout.jpg
Twist & Shout.jpg (86.68 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
Twist & Shout 3.jpg
Twist & Shout 3.jpg (66.33 KiB) Viewed 1637 times

Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:49 pm

MARK, these are some of your very best flies. I adore these!!! WOW!!! Jaw droppers. THANK YOU FOR SHARING THESE LITTLE BEAUTIES! :mrgreen: I think these are even nicer than the other two inspirations you just tied. Super heavy duty cool, Mark.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:17 pm

Thankx Kelly........you crack me up........i love your enthusiasum for everything fly tying. i'll have to have a chair ready and stay right behind you as you wander round the house.......lol. :D Your gonna need it. ;)

p.s. a mountain high of credit should be given to Kars for havin "The Right Attitude"..... :D

Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:52 pm

LOL...you are probably right. I hope you have smelling salts handy too, if that is what they call it...when I actually faint from the first sight of it all. :D :lol:
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:33 pm

:D .....btw, the exact hook i used on that second (bottom) fly, is a Targus 7979 size 10 Salmon/Steelhead/Wet Fly Loop Eye (return wire) Heavy wire, Curved shank, Forged, Black Nickel. ;)

letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:53 pm

I love to see posts generate this much enthusiasm to tye flies. Mark (willowhead) - The fishing flies you've been posting lately are terrific! The Welsh Inspired Mayfly is my favorite. Just beautiful, and yet highly fishable. I would love to see the recipe for this pattern. I am guessing the collar hackle is chukar/french partridge, but I'm not positive. I love the balance of these flies. You found exactly the "right" proportions for the length of the body and the tail. I find this especially appealing, and have had difficulty with this when tying on non-standard hooks. Anyway, beautifully done.

Karsten - I need to go back and study the original photos again. I had not noticed any tippet left on the flies. Definitely leave them on the flies. It adds another detail, knowing that they had been fished by Mr. Lewis at some point. It makes one stop and wonder "How many fish has this fly caught & under what conditions?". Just lovely to stop and daydream about for a while.

Great post!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean