POP Flies (Tutorial / SBS)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DOUGSDEN

Re: POP Flies

Post by DOUGSDEN » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:26 pm

RAY,
I THINK YOU MAY HAVE JUST THE RIGHT "MEDICINE" FOR EARLY SEASON FISH ESPECIALLY THE SMALLMOUTH. I WAS PLEASED TO SEE YOUR PATTERN FIRMLY PLANTED IN THE SCISSORS OF THAT BRONZE BEAUTY. I REALLY LIKE P.O.P. THE SMALLIES IN MY AREA REALLY SEEM TO KEY IN ON MANY PATTERNS WITH ORANGE IN THEM SOMEWHERE. I ALSO LIKE WHEN YOU SHOW THE PATTERNS WET. IT CHANGES THE WHOLE CHARACTER OF THE FLY. GREAT WORK! CAN YOU DO IT AGAIN SOON? I REALIZE IT MAY MEAN ANOTHER UNSCHEDULED FISHING TRIP. WOULDN'T THAT BE TERRIBLE? HOWEVER, IT MAKES THE REST OF US HAPPY! KEEP IT UP!!
ON MY WAY TO THE DEN TO TIE SOME....
DOUGSDEN
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:33 pm

When Ray first posted his POP flies on another board I did two things. I ordered the Krenick silk and tied up a mess of POP flies (ini the various colors). They have proven to be effective almost everywhere I have fished since. Great flies.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
wayneb

Post by wayneb » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:57 am

Hi Ray;

I really like this pattern! It falls in with what I'm playing with now, a soft hackle pattern for warmwater use, a little larger than most stuff tied on this site. I was tying some up last night and having a lot of fun experimenting with different colors of flash for the underbody & tag.

A couple of questions:

when you use superglue on the silk, how does it effect the translucence of silk?

How thick a thread is the Kreinik you used?

Why didn't you tie the entire pattern out of silk?

thanks in advance;

Wayneb
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:00 pm

Question - When you use superglue on the silk, how does it effect the translucence of silk?
Answer - The silk becomes very translucent, similar to when it gets wet. The superglue has the advantage of making the silk body very durable without the need for a rib. I think the best examples I can show you are the Candy Apple soft hackles that I submitted a while ago. The body on these flies has been coated with superglue and allowed to dry. The silk becomes very smooth and translucent (see link below):

http://www.flymphforum.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =candy#p14

Question - How thick a thread is the Kreinik you used?
Answer - I don't honestly know. It is similar to the thickness of a single strand of the Danville Rayon Floss.

Question - Why didn't you tie the entire pattern out of silk?
Answer - The Kreinik material is 100% silk. If you can get your hands on some, it makes wonderful soft hackle bodies for fishing flies. The Kreinik silk does have some "fuzziness" to it, so it may not be the best for presentation quality flies, but I love it for fishing flies. Unfortunately Kreinik has stopped making this silk and is selling off their remaining stock. I bought a set of every color they had for about 30 Dollars. They still have it listed on their site, but I don't know if it will have the full range of colors.

Here is a link:
http://www.kreinik.com/kshop/product.ph ... 145&page=1
http://www.classicflytying.com/index.ph ... nexpensive
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: POP Flies (Tutorial)

Post by letumgo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:50 am

I am bumping this post so that JohnP could find it easier.

chase creek

Post by chase creek » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:40 pm

Great post Ray. I tied up some of your original Pop flies a while back - found the small stream Brookies in N Michigan had a real affection for them. Always have some in my arsenal.

Thanks for the knot link - very clear.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:43 pm

Just went to the kreinik link - says discountinued mechandise, so they must be out.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
JohnP

Post by JohnP » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:12 pm

Thank you, Ray. Awesome stuff, as always.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:07 pm

I am on another float in the morning. I will probably have one on the flies you sent (POP,PYP, and PRP)me on all day long. I dont know why, but I have a sneaking hunch the PYP will be the fly du jour tomorrow. With all the PMD's and Yellow Sally's about I wont be surprised if Yellow is the color of choice. That and I didnt tie any PYP's and I only have the two you sent.
I will post a report tomorrow night.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:35 pm

Rodger (chase creek) - I used the Kreinic silk before I figured out how to tye with Pearsall's Marabou silk. Marabou silk make lovely bodies, once you split the strands down before tying it on the hook.

Wayne - I can't wait to hear about your float trip. I envy you.