Beginner's flymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

IronBlue

Beginner's flymph

Post by IronBlue » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:27 am

The fly dressings posted here and on Hans's site are incredible. Far beyond anything I can do. I am relatively new to this, so advice is welcome. Like, I shoulda gone two turns of hackle instead of three; and I need to learn how to make the wire wrap evenly. However, I actually like flies that are a little messy looking –– not too perfect.
At this point I am just interested in tying plain flymphs, nothing too complicated. Hard enough to get this kind of pattern down, and I haven't come very close yet.

If anybody has a better name for this critter, let me know!

DRAB FLYMPH
Hook, 16 Daiichi 1740 Up-eye Wet/Nymph
Thread, Primrose gossamer silk
Hackle, Ashey hen with ginger tips
Body, Hare's poll and a little mole on primrose silk
Tail, Lemon Wood Duck
Rib, silver wire
Attachments
DrabFlymph.jpg
DrabFlymph.jpg (240.33 KiB) Viewed 3547 times
willowhead

Re: Beginner's flymph

Post by willowhead » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:02 am

It's very very nice I.B., and will certaintly catch fish just as is. i can tell in one look you have everything it takes (technically), to excell as a fly tyer............all it takes is time at the vise, and HEART! The harder and more you work, the sooner it'll come. Pretty simple actually. ;) So go for it. :D How bout you call it Grab/Bag instead of drab........? :lol: LOVE that tail. 8-)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:09 am

Ironblue,
Looks to be the perfect kind of "drab" to suit our brown trout. They don't get over excited by flash colours or synthetics like rainbow will.
Nice tie, thanks for sharing it.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:16 am

You've got the eye. Beautiful pattern and selection of materials. It has that classic feel. Just the way it should. Thanks for sharing.

Carl
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:33 am

Carl put it perfectly.......agreed. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
IronBlue

Post by IronBlue » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:02 am

Everybody, Thanks for the encouragement. I try to get in a couple hours of tying every evening. I get about three rejects for every keeper, but I think they are getting a little better -- certainly nicer than what I was tying last July. All of you on the flymphforum are a big inspiration. I'm looking forward to seeing what the trout think about them in a few months.
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:55 am

Nice work, IB. I believe you've got the touch.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:42 am

Iron Blue

Based on how nice this fly is tied I doubt that any fish would turn up his nose at your "rejects"! ;) Get them all in a box, dunk 'em in the water, and let the fish vote. I think that is the best way to refine a fly you are creating and fill up the vest. I keep a small box in my vest that I call the X-box for flies I am experimenting with. I fish a multiple fly cast trying the new fly out with proven flies or other new variations for the same hatch. Sometimes the fish have a preference for something you think lacks perfection. :D Gary La Fontaine liked to say that "ugly is better" when it comes to flies. Besides that if it is ugly but works you can give it away at streamside to some flyfisher who doesn't seem to have a working pattern. It can be a ice breaker with a stranger that can lead to a pleasant discussion about the merits of your respective boxes and methods you use. 8-)
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:07 pm

Iron Blue,
Nuttin' wrong with this one! It's gorgeous! I see you have invested in some Daiichi 1740's! Excellent choice! I have put off buying them long enough. You have inspired me to get off the pot and get some on the road to my den. Have you ever fished them? That chemically sharpened point looks wonderful! Let me know!
Your tying is excellent. Keep up the great work you are doing and please, by all means, take lots of photo's and report back to us! That's the exciting part!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:23 pm

Instant classic! I like your style. The buggy look (read the word "buggy" as a sincere compliment) gives it a great vintage look. Please share more of your flies with us. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean