March Brown design drafts

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

gingerdun

Re: March Brown design drafts

Post by gingerdun » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:39 am

Here is one of the new batch, up close—all same materials. Sorry about it being flattened on my scanner.
Pete Hidy tended to use the wider tinsels, so I'm doing the same. I presume he liked them for the increased reflectivity that enhanced the look of bubble mimicry. The downside is that it covers more of the dubbing. I'll tie a batch with the narrower tinsel and try them both.
Attachments
MarchBrownJan22c.jpg
MarchBrownJan22c.jpg (55.14 KiB) Viewed 2772 times
DNicolson

Post by DNicolson » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:44 am

GD, presumptions can be dangerous, he may have acquired a lot of broader tinsel in a bargain offer and just used them up. :lol: A very nice fly though.

I just had a look at the Natural pics of the American and the European March Browns, and both have quite pronounced segmentation, so maybe you are right.
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:28 am

Donald,
Thanks. You're funny. He actually did leave behind an incredible amount of tinsel, so he obviously thought it was important to stock up on it. Just didn't live long enough to use it up.
Yes, I had noticed the segmentation in photographs too. It is nice that for an imitation like this, the tinsel does double-duty, also suggesting the glistening air bubbles. No wonder it is used so much.
Ginger
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:01 am

gingerdun wrote:Yes, I had noticed the segmentation in photographs too. It is nice that for an imitation like this, the tinsel does double-duty, also suggesting the glistening air bubbles. No wonder it is used so much.
Ginger
Do you have some clearer pictures of these Mayfly "air/gas bubbles"? I have never been able to find them. If you have Caddis air bubbles that would be great aswell. I have seen the bubbles on Chironomid, but never Mayfly or Caddis. Thanks in advance,

Wayne
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:11 am

Pete Hidy tended to use the wider tinsels, so I'm doing the same
That's so funny: your original tie made me want to order some extra-fine oval, posthaste. :lol: At any rate, I think you'll find both versions will fish--though I do love the aesthetics of the darker thorax on your last one. Otherwise, the only other thing I can think of is that you might include some darker, coarser fibers in your dubbing mix--Aaron ("skunkaroo" here) I think uses a pinch of claret seal to mimic the venation that appears in the naturals. That would also help if you're worried about hiding too much of the dubbing--a couple of passes with a velcro patch would help submerge the tinsel and give you the "back-lit" halo effect that we all seem to be going for.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:19 am

http://www.flyline.com/tips_trivia/all_that_glitters/
Caddis pupae swimming to the surface. Note the two distinct and brillant bubbles carried over the "shoulders" of the pupae. This is the first known photograph of this behaviour. Shot taken June 15, 1998, Manzanita Lake, CA

You would think that with the Millions if not Billions of bugs hatching in the rivers everyday during the season it would be easy to photograph this phenomenon. Then theres all the aquariums that contain mayfly and caddis just to be studyed and photographed at every stage of their life cycle.

http://gunnisongorgeanglers.org/flyfish ... River.html

These bubbles have a simple guy like me scratching my head.
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:52 am

Dubbn,
Love you images. Your question is good. I have passed it on to Rick Hafele, asking how sure he is about the bubbles, and in which insects. He did tell me on Friday that after Pete Hidy started writing about the bubbles in 1973, (the first person to do so, as far as Rick and Dave Hughes know) that set in motion a lot of experimentation with materials like Krystal Flash and beads that have reflective qualities suggestive of bubbles. I am really in over my head here, so I turn to the experts on this, including you, Dubbn.

The impression that I have from reading various sources, not from looking at the bugs themselves, is that during underwater metamorphosis bubbles are present on the emerging fly, including some mayflies. Presumably the trout might associate the bubbles with the fresh food, just hatched, while it is at its most nutritious, maybe with eggs inside, and full-bodied. You compare a spinner with a dun, and the spinner looks emaciated in comparison. So theoretically, the bubbles could be a signal to the trout that the bug is really fresh. I'm just asking too. I don't know. One thing is probably pretty certain—the shiny tinsel is probably not going to scare the trout away. :D

Rick told me about a video that is underwater photography of trout stream insects. I haven't seen it yet. Maybe there is some evidence of bubbles in it. It is by Ralph Cutter, BUGS OF THE UNDERWORLD. Rick says it is for sale in a lot of tackle shops, so some forum members may have seen it.

Thanks again for your input.
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:55 am

CreationBear wrote:
Otherwise, the only other thing I can think of is that you might include some darker, coarser fibers in your dubbing mix--Aaron ("skunkaroo" here) I think uses a pinch of claret seal to mimic the venation that appears in the naturals. That would also help if you're worried about hiding too much of the dubbing--a couple of passes with a velcro patch would help submerge the tinsel and give you the "back-lit" halo effect that we all seem to be going for.
CB,
This makes sense to me. I'm going to make some new blends and give it a try.

Thanks!

GD
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:01 am

Oh, I believe in shiny tinsel. I just want to believe in the bubbles. I have been interested in it since LaFontaine touted the bubble as a trigger, but was not able to produce alot of photographic evidence. He claimed to have spent 100's of hours filming under water, but I guess that stage of the Caddis' life cycle eluded him.
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:26 am

Dubbn,
Photos would be great. I'm going to keep looking.

Gary LaFontaine was the one who made me believe in bubbles, just by his credibility as an underwater eye-witness and biologist, even without photos. I don't have Caddisflies here so I can't quote LaFontaine directly. This is what Dave Hughes wrote in WET FLIES, page 35:
The most recent and significant advance in subsurface fly fishing was made in 1981, with the publication of Gary LaFontaine's brilliant book Caddisflies. LaFontaine used scuba gear to dive and study natural caddis, both pupae and adults, beneath the water. He noticed that a bubble of air is often the key that triggers trout to feed on both stages. He used Antron carpet yarns in his flies to achieve the same effect. The result: Not only do the artificial fibers reflect light and look like bubbles of air, but they also trap air and take it beneath the water.