March Brown design drafts

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: March Brown design drafts

Post by William Anderson » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:33 pm

I love that we are having an enlightened conversation regarding fly design and imitation, and no one says...Holy Shxt! That's an amazing pic of a MB that Hidy tied? I have never seen that pic and good lord, I love seeing these flies. They don't take the conversation off course, or alter what I thought I knew about the man's flies...but I've never seen this one and I love it. You may have guessed that there are a few here who hold Mr Hidy in high regard...but I seem to be flipping out a little. Pardon me while I adjust.

Carry on.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:46 pm

That is a great looking fly...any thoughts on the hook? That looks to be a two or even three XL--exactly the kind of turned-up eye hook I've been looking for. :)
DNicolson

Post by DNicolson » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:02 pm

Here are a couple of more conventional nymph style flies.
I have realised that the more correct Flymph (Hidy style) uses an upeyed hook,
thus d/e I'll call nymphs.

Hook: 12 Wet fly.
Silk: Crimson Pearsall.
Tail: Partridge.
Rib: Amber fluo silk, doubled and twisted.
Body: Dark Hare's Ear.
Hackle: Grey Brahma Hen.

In Scotland is often ribbed with yellow silk.
I used a fluo silk, for a wee change.

Hidy was quite right to dress so many variations, this is a very variable fly.
Also, Halford did not have one example of a March Brown in any of his books,
the March Brown does not frequent the southern chalk streams, therefor it did not exist. :lol: :lol:
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:57 pm

Donald, Howdy;

Truly, some great looking flys. The one in the last looks as though
it could also stand-in for a "watchet" type.

hank

PS. My ex # 2 & 4 Had the same philisophy (sp?), If it didn't pertain to her...
it therefore didn't exist... :roll:
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:04 pm

Sylvester Nemes book "Soft-Hackled Fly Imitations" (Page 105) lists a March Brown pattern which was developed by Mr. Tedd Ward for use on the Beaver Kill, Delaware and other eastern rivers (sorry no picture).

Tedd wrote "My experience on the Beaverkill, has been, along with many others, that the trout work the March Brown nymphs more often than the duns. One day in the Wagon Tracks Pool, duns were hatching out in the still water downstream. While watching them, I noticed trout flashing on or near the bottom in the run in front of me, obviously feeding on the nymph. I found a March Brown Spider soft hackle in my box with gold dyed hares's ear and tried it. Three nice fish took the fly while dead drifting in the surface film. Since then, the pattern has proved successful not only as an imitation of the March Brown nymph, but as imitations of the Gray Fox and Light Cahill nymphs. Here is the tie.

March Brown Nymph (Stenonema Vicarium) plus Gray Fox and Light Cahill Nymphs
Hook: Mustad 94833 #10 for March Brown, #12 for Gray Fox, #14 for Light Cahill
Thread: Brown UNI-Tread 8/0
Hackle: Gray Partridge, or sometimes Grouse
Tail: 3 cock pheasant barbs
Rib: Fine copper wire
Body: Gold (yellow) dyed spiky hare's mask tied a little heavier than usual for a soft hackle"

Thomas Ames' book entitled "Fishbugs" lists the following information about the March Brown insect:

"The Eastern March Brown, for instance, is generally considered a fast-water insect, with mature larve reachin lengths of up to 19 mm, excluding tails and antennae. But the same species has adapted to survive on the shores of many ponds and lakes in Mane and elsewhere, where its length rarely exceeds 14 mm."

He later mentions that the body color of the March Brown ranges from a rich yellow to a grayish brown. (sounds like a gold and natural hare's ear would be ideal choices for this insect)

Ted Fauceglia's book entitled "Mayflies" lists the following information about the March Brown and Gray Fox insect (page 53)

Surface Activity: Mid-May to Mid-June
Pattern sizes: 10 to 14

"March Brown duns display mottled, camouflaged bodies with wings of the same colors. Their wings and bodies are a distinct brown and tan. Despite the obvious differences in size and color between March Browns and Gray Foxes, entomologists have concluded that they are members of the same species. For the fly fisherman's purposes, these differences matter. Size and color are two of the critical components of any imitation; consequently, although the bug pundits consider the two to be synonymous, it's important to note the details of their differences [in terms of fly design]"

Tom Fuller's book entitled "The Complete Guide to Eastern Hatches" lists the following information

NYMPH PHASE:
Size: 12 to 16 mm (Hook size 8 to 10)
Color: Tan with black bands on abdomen, thorax light amber
Tails: Three, amber with dark bands
Wingpads: Mahogony
Legs: Amber with brown bands

DUN PHASE:
Size: 12 to 16 mm (Hook size 8 to 10)
Body Color: Dirty yellow to rusty brown with a lighter underbody
Wings: Gray with brown cross veins
Tails: Two, brown with darker bands
Legs: Ivory with darker bands

SPINNER PHASE:
Body Color: White with brown splotches
Tails: Mottled Brown
Legs: Amber and banded

EMERGENCE TEMPERATURES:
Late Spring (55 to 60°F)
Early Summer (60 to 65°F)
Mid-Summer (65 to 70°F)
Late Summer (70 to 65°F)

HABITAT: Clinger, fast pocket water and rapids

IN SUMMARY - THE MARCH BROWN FLYMPH SOUNDS LIKE AN IDEAL PATTERN FOR THE THE ROSCOE RENDEZVOUS!!!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:18 pm

GingerDun,
I think your interpretations of the March Brown are superb. The other interpretations are superb as well! It's funny how we each see things differently, but that is what makes it SOOO interesting.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:50 pm

Glad you liked the old man's MB. The examples that have been posted by several of you here, along with commentary and recipes, is more than I can take in right now, but I love it all.

I went through Pete's feathers, and found some mottled ones that had a nice reddish brown color, just the right size. At some point I'll scan them to see if we can get an ID. I tied a few more this evening. Going to spin some bodies before I retire. I think that Pete would be pleased that his wayward protege has fallen among flyfishers who can help put him on the right path.

Ginger
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:21 pm

I like your interpretation, as well as other's here. I sure liked Hidy's old fly too. Yes, and orange head would top it off quite nicely. Highly suggestive of a March Brown, should be perfect!
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:41 pm

Question for GingerDun - Have you been able to identify the hook that Pete used on the March Brown pattern photographed on page one? I thought he used Mustad model 94842 (new number R50U), but the shank looks way too long to be the same hook. I'd be very curious to know what hook was used...

William - I am in complete agreement. Great thread, huh? If you can't tell, I'm buggin' too... :D

Donald & Ruard - Great photos & patterns.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:18 pm

What a great thread............Ray, Wagon Tracks is one of my VERY favorite pools on the Kill. Actually it's more like a run than a pool. Just one gigantic riffle. But it does have seams here and there with deeper water here and there. Also it leads right into Twin Islands........as good as dry fly water as there is on the Kill, anywhere. And now since Twin Islands campground has gone outta business.....access is a piece-a-cake. i'll show you in June......... :D ........if i'm strong enough to fish.......or if i'm not.........i'll get you on the right sections. i have no idea what's gonna be happening then, now.......it's in God's hands i spose.
All the pools along that stretch of the Kill, (it should be noted), should VERY often be crossed over (at the head of the pool), then following the trail on the opposite side to where you wanna get in, waded out to the center and fished back to the road. Some HUGE fish hang in deeper water right under the road.............REMEMBER THAT. :D Red Rose Pool (another great pool), is a classic example of that. Anglers be shimmyin' down the road side bank and gettin' right in............spook every damn good fish in the pool. :roll:
Great flies guys ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com