March Brown design drafts

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Kelly L.

Re: March Brown design drafts

Post by Kelly L. » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:50 am

I like the latest fly you did. VERY SWEET.
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:26 am

I'm not completely satisfied with this hackle.
My work here is done. :lol:

Seriously though, any of the flies you've posted in this thread I would fish any day, all day (but I like this one the best. :) ) Otherwise, I would call that an Englsih grouse (a.k.a. red grouse or moor game) feather, but given what Donald says it might remain a mystery. I like it as well, though obviously you've a clearer picture of the "natural" in mind.
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:10 am

My work here is done. :lol:
Thanks, teacher. I did it for you. :D
And for everyone else who has offered tips.
But I sure would like to know what kind of bird made that feather.
Stendalen

Post by Stendalen » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:01 pm

gingerdun wrote:Listening to you guys is like taking a college course. Can't tell you how helpful this is. Hearing how you think about the problem is priceless. I'll keep experimenting.
Some of your comments would take me in the direction of the March Brown that Pete Hidy tied.

Ginger
Great reading (havn't finished). Just had a quick question. What tail material is in Pete Hidy's fly?

/Martin
"...because it enriches my soul..."
https://www.facebook.com/stendalenflyfish/
Stendalen

Post by Stendalen » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:05 pm

daringduffer wrote:
CreationBear wrote:That is a great looking fly...any thoughts on the hook? That looks to be a two or even three XL--exactly the kind of turned-up eye hook I've been looking for. :)
CB,

One of the hooks proposed by Hidy was sold by E. Veniard - a whole-saler, not a maker. I have reasons to believe that the old stock of hooks from the old professional fly tier Margrethe Thomsen, which is now owned by a small swedish company (one man band), comes from the same source. I think most of her stuff came from Veniard. This is where I found my complete set of gossamer wooden spools, for instance. Stendalen has aquired a lot of old stuff from there too. I just received materials from him that I will pass on to a forum member on your side of the pond. As luck would have it, he gets it with a discount of 30%.
(I have said it before; I have no connections with this company. I am only a customer, paying full price).

forged flat, IX long shank, up eye. sz 6-8-10-12-14-16-18. (Wet fly)

Wide Gape, Reversed Bend, Medium shank, up eye sz 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-17. (Wet fly)

Engelsk Mayfly Snecky Limerick Hook 2x long shank sz 6-8-10-12-14-16 (Dry fly)

There are of course down eyed hooks too. http://www.flyhookfiller.se/krok-1/orin ... etfly.html

A package contains 10 hooks and cost 10.00 SEK = 1.47415 USD minus 30% discount. If anybody wants assistance of some kind, feel free to PM me.

dd
DD, hi!

That is interesting info (being a sucker for hooks). I just happened to see those hooks when visiting the shop and immediately grabbed a package.

Martin
"...because it enriches my soul..."
https://www.facebook.com/stendalenflyfish/
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:59 pm

[/quote]Great reading (havn't finished). Just had a quick question. What tail material is in Pete Hidy's fly?/Martin[/quote]

Martin, Your guess is as good as mine. At first I assumed it was from a pheasant tail, but now I don't think so.

Anybody on the forum have a DNA lab? :D
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:47 pm

This is a link to a bubble article (begins at page 2):

http://www.thebookmailer.com/Order/BMarchive/05FA.pdf

dd
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:27 pm

daringduffer wrote:This is a link to a bubble article (begins at page 2):

dd
Good article.
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:18 pm

daringduffer wrote:This is a link to a bubble article (begins at page 2):

dd
Stefan, Thanks for this. Really interesting, both the first article and the response that follows. Leaves the bubble question unresolved, but it seems more dubious now than I had realized.
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:38 am

gingerdun wrote:Leaves the bubble question unresolved, but it seems more dubious now than I had realized.
Gingerdun,

Paint me in the bubble sceptic corner.

It puzzled me right from the time Gary published the Caddisflies book that one passing reference (from memory - page 5 in this tome of a book) to a bubble phenomenon underpinned such a substantial part of the Sparkling Pupa background, and touted the superiority of tri-lobal yarn for the purpose. Equally unclear from the reference is something as simple as: sub-cutanal or external gas bubble? You tell me.

If the gas bubble is so prevalent, the many hours Gary spent snorkling and taking underwater pictures and nary a single image to capture it?

In the years following I have done a fair bit of literary research - the references I found in flyfishing books and articles all based their support on Caddisflies as the source, repeating without offering proof. I did not find any independent evidence in the entomological books. Not a single one.

I then consulted several professional entomologists, with focus on aquatic insects. All scratched their head, then shook it.

Gary LaFontaine was a contemporary giant, and has left us with both a substantial and valuable legacy, as well as a big void with his sad and untimely passing. The gas bubble theory, though, I do not buy into, nor count.

My two cents. Your mileage may vary 8-)

Cheers,
Hans W