Grounds for Expulsion

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: Grounds for Expulsion

Post by William Anderson » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:57 pm

Pack your bags, renegade. :D

This could save the day...on the right day. Is the foam a "fly-tying" sanctioned (overpriced) material, or did you find it someone crafty?

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:20 pm

But shouldn't a Japanese beetle be tied tenkara style ... ;) ?
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:41 pm

DEFINITE fish getter! That metallic foam does the trick. That's one to go in the terrestial box for sure.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:54 pm

Bill - That's funny! :lol: Tenkara style Japanese beetle. I love that idea. ;)

William - I am a big fan of Harrison Steeves's foam patterns. I have had some amazing 30+ fish days using his terrestrial (and extra-terrestrial) style patterns. I did a tying demonstration last weekend and was showing some of his patterns. They are super fun flies and they catch fish like crazy. Have you ever fished his Los Alamos Ant pattern? I highly recommend it for trout and bass.

Thanks Roger.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:26 pm

The pattern looks like a good one. I have actually started trying a UK Buzzer...I have lost my mind, I know it. So you aren't alone in straying off course. I seem to do it all the time.
wayneb

Post by wayneb » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:46 pm

Being surrounded on three sides by excellent warmwater fishing opportunities that are 15 minutes or less from my door, I find a yellow size 10 gurglepop to be my most deadly pattern.

Last year I had several 100 fish or better days and only used that pattern.

Wayneb
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:57 pm

Thanks Wayne. I was not familiar with that pattern, but I just looked it up. Nice and simple. I will give them a try, based on your recommendation. Thanks mate.

Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:15 pm

letumgo wrote:Thanks Wayne. I was not familiar with that pattern, but I just looked it up. Nice and simple. I will give them a try, based on your recommendation. Thanks mate.
Ray, as stated above somewhere beetle patterns are widly used here for trout...... big trout. That photo where you liked my old Fenwick rod, the trout on the end of the line (was also in the photo :) ) was a victim of a simple brown beetle.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
RnF

Post by RnF » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:32 pm

Awesome tie. Them trout in the mountains could not resist that! Very buggy.
Scott D
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:14 pm

I just tyed a version with a black CDC body. Out of curiosity, I got a dish of water to see how the pattern looked floating on the surface. Interestingly, the CDC version kept flipping over when it hit the surface of the water (foam side down/CDC belly side up/hook point above the surface of the water). I dropped the fly into the water multiple times and each time it flipped upside down. The twisted CDC body seems to repel the a water. When I pushed the pattern below the surface, the belly of the fly was surrounded by a silvery air bubble. As soon as I lifted it back out, the belly looked dry and fluffy again.

I then tried the version tyed with the peacock herl body and the first couple times it flipped over, but once the herl got wet it tended to land on the water belly side down. The herl version rides low in the water, roughly 2/3rds submerged. Pretty interesting.

I'd love to try fishing both versions in tandem, to see if the fish have a preference. I kind of like the idea of the beetle floating on it's back. It may look more vulnerable that way, plus the hook point is obstructed by the surface film. It might be just enough of a different to prevent a refusal from a fussy trout.

I live for this kind of unexpected result. All part of the fun...